[Stable Staging Update] 2021-08-16 - Kernels, KDE Software, Nvidia, Firefox, Thunderbird, Mate

Hello community,

Another stable-staging branch update with some usual updates for you.

Help us to find last-minute issues on our current Release candidates!

• Most of our Kernels got updated. Note that 5.12 series is now marked EOL.
  • KDE Software got renewed: KDE Gear 21.08.0, KDE Frameworks 5.85.0
  • Wine is at 6.15
  • Mate 1.26.0 got released
  • Thunderbird and Firefox got renewed
  • Latest Nvidia driver brings in Vulkan fixes
  • A new AMDVLK driver update got added
  • Some KDE-git and Python updates
  • Other regular upstream updates

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, Gnome, XFCE. You get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux44 4.4.281
  • linux49 4.9.280
  • linux414 4.14.244
  • linux419 4.19.204
  • linux54 5.4.141
  • linux510 5.10.59
  • linux512 5.12.19 [EOL]
  • linux513 5.13.11
  • linux514 5.14-rc6
  • linux510-rt 5.10.52_rt47

Package Updates (Mon Aug 16 17:20:11 CEST 2021)

A list of all package changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

3 Likes

Some menubars in okular is changed to No text:

Not on my system (German). So this is not a general issue.

me too, all is good, you use a custom language (without translation ? file, config, help) ?

No. Nothing
Just plain English

You might try recreating the default okularrc file.

mv ~/.config/okularrc ~/.config/okularrc.old

and then open Okular.

Unfortunately, didn’t fix the problem

Just found this is a known problem with Okular itself recently: 395497 – Menubar - No text - Editing the shell toolbar from Configure Toolbars sometimes corrupts shell.rc One of the suggestions is to

Resetting the toolbar configuration to defaults solves the problem.

1 Like

That fixed the issue!!
Thanks man :slight_smile:

Found some lacks after the manjaro-kde-21.1-stable-staging-210816-linux513.iso.zip image (Release 202108162144 · manjaro/release-review · GitHub) installation:

pacman.conf params

/etc/pacman.conf
contains
#TotalDownload
which is absent in the pacman.conf(5) — Arch manual pages docs and reported as unknown if to execute pacman with that parameter uncommented. Total download line always present in TUI output.

Why to store misleading trash in conf files?

The docs page above also shows the ParallelDownloads param which is extremely useful for me: it increasing download time in 2-4 times even a DBs sync phase (having 100 Mbps Internet connection speed).
I report the lack for second time (the first was in [Unstable Update] 2021-05-28 - Kernels, Perl, Cinnamon 5.0, Haskell, Tesseract, Cutefish - #57 by alven)
Why to cut off very useful functionality?
So unstable? Arch tested the 6.0.0 version w/o release for a half of a year. We got it 2 months ago. I tested ParallelDownloads = 10 for 2 months. Everything is fine. It is ready a long ago, but still absent in the Manjaro config.

I completely can’t understand why to store trash and to hide useful stuff.

LUKS version

is still:

sudo cryptsetup luksDump /dev/nvme0n1p2 -v
LUKS header information for /dev/nvme0n1p2

Version:        1

Calamaries-only related reason?

GRUB config

duplicates:

cat /etc/default/grub                                                                                                                                               
# Uncomment to enable booting from LUKS encrypted devices
#GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y

Only the single param duplicates: I checked: all other params has single places to describe it’s value.
I installed via GUI installed only. used btrfs and encrypted switch, so some

Also it is probably somebody missed a code review: the param uses inconsistent value: the pattern of value of other boolean params are true/false, not yes/no and not y/n.
Using several patterns inside of single config certainly not the good part of design.

misleading output of update-grub
sudo update-grub                                                                                                                                                 
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.13-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Detecting snapshots ...
Info: Separate boot partition not detected
No snapshots found.
If you think an error has occurred , please file a bug report at " https://github.com/Antynea/grub-btrfs "
Nothing to do. Abort.
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

update-grub did it’s work for updated /etc/default/grub conf, but finnaly shows
Nothing to do. Abort.
which looks like the app did nothing and aborted, which is not funny. The abort output is related only to snapshots, not to the prev./old functionality. That should be noted as it is: that it is only about snapshot and other tasks done completely.

`Konsole` app

Noted switch to zsh; perfect autocomplete w/ TAB and even using history right arrow.
and awful (for my taste) icons at the start line and time used. Will try to remove these graphics: delay counts password typing time, so usually usefulness and that delay counter icon also present if to copy TUI output, which just trashing a copied output.
Also start-line icons hides the current mode of $ fortunately icons are absent during #.

Pamac's background in Settings window

Year, Pamac looks better then using more than gingle column and useful to show details as appearing/sliding panel.

Global theme used: Breeze Dark

Hope my notes will help to a bit to produce more valuable apps behavior for all.
May be that is completely my issues (in my head/point of view) and it is perfectly fine for others.

Thank you!

Hello all,
I just updated this is what popped up when sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb

Aug 17 17:55:27 HELLRIDER systemd[239]: systemd-udevd.service: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd: No such file or directory
░░ Subject: Process /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd could not be executed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░
░░ The process /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd could not be executed and failed.
░░
░░ The error number returned by this process is ERRNO.

Fixed it self on second reboot. Don’t know why it happend. :man_shrugging:

Edit This is created after the second reboot.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Aug  8 17:03 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd -> ../../bin/udevadm
Pamac updates an AUR package version (in the list and detailed description) only after install

but before installation I did Menu -> Refresh databases but looks like AUR info cached somewhere else where pamac connects to.

pacman -Qi pamac                                                                                                                                                     
Name            : pamac-gtk
Version         : 10.2.0beta-1
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.85.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.14.0-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

It is my idea, and could be not the exact situation: sometime announcement topics publicates after some time the actual updates came (updating mirrors could get it faster then in average).

Also about 2 hours ago was stable update: Manjaro 21.1.0 Pahvo released!

Would someone be so kind to help me?
I am running Manjaro KDE Stable, the latest update was August 9, however, today pamac is showing a new update, but coming to this website, I see this update is not for Manjaro Stable but for Manjaro Staging instead. Can some shed some light as to why I am getting this staging update, and what can I do to stop this from happening? Thanks in advance for any help.

Interesting. My computer was showing these new updates available from very early this morning, and it only seven hours later, just a couple of minutes ago, that the Stable release site (Stable Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum) was updated to show an August 17 update.
Thanks

Hi @alven,

manjaro-tools are not yet fully adopted to the new pacman.conf. And yes, we are still using luks1 for reasons. Grub config only has this “issue” when you are not using btrfs as your filesystem. You can ping @Chrysostomus about that. Duplicates in grub.cfg are given due to the way we enable crypttodisk via Calamares for now. Konsole changes are done by @LordTermor. Talk to him. If you have an issue with pamac, open one.

1 Like

Saw you earlier efforts in Calamaries repo ticket to let the app to make luks2 type at least at partition level encryption. Thank you!

Copy.

I used our zsh config that’s also used for GNOME now so it’s not on my side I think.

I am utterly baffled by the term “stable staging” such an odd term for a release.
In all my 17 years of linux use I never heard of such thing :smiley:

1 Like

stable staging is our 3rd layer before it goes to the stable branch …

1 Like

I guess that makes sense… sorta :sweat_smile: