[Stable-Staging Update] 2020-02-26 - Kernels, Mesa, LibreOffice, Pamac 9.4-rc, Blender 2.82, NetworkManager

Hello community,

here is our first Stable-Staging Update! With this new branch we want to push packages faster to our stable branch. Sometimes big package sets hold us back to update stable branch at all. So we decided to introduce another layer to put packages faster to you all. Read-up the setup instructions on how to switch to Stable-Staging.

Some feature-updates:

• Most of our Kernels got updated
  • We updated our RT-Kernel to 5.4.17_rt9 and added linux56 series
  • linux53 is now deprecated. Users will automatically update to linux54
  • More Updates to KDE-Git packages
  • Firefox-Dev is on its sixth beta of 74 series
  • We updated to Mesa 19.3.4
  • Pamac 9.4 has its first release candidate. We still need translation updates!
  • Blender is now at 2.82
  • Gnome got some more updates
  • Additional packages for Cinnamon
  • Updates to our Calamares installer
  • Fixes to binutils to support linux316 and linux44
  • Wine got updated to 5.2
  • LibreOffice got updated to 6.3.5
  • VirtualBox 6.1.4 added some needed fixes
  • PHP is now at 7.4.3
  • Palemoon got renewed to 28.8.3
  • NetworkManager is now at 1.22.8
  • A lot of python and haskell updates
  • Flatpak got updated to 1.6.2
  • polkit and other small updates
  • Haskell and Python updates with regular upstream package changes got added

If you like following latest Plasma development you may also like to check out our current version of manjaro-kde-dev, which we build on a regular basis against kde-git master packages. Also check out our current 19.0 ISOs and give us the needed feedback. You might also want to give our latest spin with NX-Desktop a try ...

As always we appreciate your input and feedback for the updates.

Is this extra branch layer useful for you?

• Yes, I would use this new branch layer
    • No, testing is enough

0 voters

Setup instructions

• first update your stable branch to get the latest pacman-mirrors package
  • issue: sudo pacman-mirrors -a -B stable-staging
  • issue: sudo pacman -Syyu or pamac upgrade --force-refresh

Upstream notice

Arch updated their default compression to zstd. We adopted to the same standard. More and more packages will have the zst extension from now on. If you get for what ever reason an error with ZSTD not supported as archive format you can do this:

wget https://pkgbuild.com/~eschwartz/repo/x86_64-extracted/pacman-static
chmod +x pacman-static
sudo ./pacman-static -Syyu

Our current supported kernels

• linux316 3.16.82
  • linux44 4.4.214
  • linux49 4.9.214
  • linux414 4.14.171
  • linux419 4.19.106
  • linux54 5.4.22
  • linux55 5.5.6
  • linux56 5.6-rc3
  • linux419-rt 4.19.103_rt42
  • linux54-rt 5.4.19_rt11

Package Changes (Tue Feb 25 08:06:49 CET 2020)

:: Sync from Unstable

• stable-staging community x86_64: 1754 new and 1766 removed package(s)
  • stable-staging core x86_64: 61 new and 60 removed package(s)
  • stable-staging extra x86_64: 815 new and 986 removed package(s)
  • stable-staging multilib x86_64: 35 new and 37 removed package(s)

:: Downgrading Blocker-Packages

• stable-staging core x86_64: 4 new and 4 removed package(s)
  • stable-staging multilib x86_64: 1 new and 1 removed package(s)
  • stable-staging extra x86_64: 129 new and 0 removed package(s)

:: Remove Plasma and Frameworks

• stable-staging extra x86_64: 0 new and 128 removed package(s)

:: Adding KDE-git Packages

• stable-staging community x86_64: 37 new and 37 removed package(s)

A detailed package change can be found here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

12 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

(2020-02-14) Can't boot into a graphical session anymore

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience this error may have caused.

Even if your graphical session is broken, you should still be able to access a TTY session with CTRL+ALT+F3 (and other similar key combinations), where you can then run sudo pacman -Syyu.

Older issues

several flatpaks have issues to get a secure connection

This is a known bug and related to p11-kit update to 0.23.19. With 0.23.20-1 that issue is fixed. Please update to that version as soon our mirrors synced.

wpa_supplicant update broke Wifi for Broadcom

By enabling new features in revision 4 of v2.9 by Arch a connection with a Broadcom Wifi card was not possible anymore. This is a known bug. Either try to downgrade to revision 3 or upgrade to revision 5.

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/w/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-2%3A2.9-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/w/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-2%3A2.9-5-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

(From Arch Linux) rsync compatibility

(2020-01-15, by Christian Hesse)
(This is relevant on Manjaro, as Manjaro imports rsync package directly from Arch Linux.)

Our rsync package was shipped with bundled zlib to provide compatibility with the old-style --compress option up to version 3.1.0. Version 3.1.1 was released on 2014-06-22 and is shipped by all major distributions now.

So we decided to finally drop the bundled library and ship a package with system zlib . This also fixes security issues, actual ones and in future. Go and blame those running old versions if you encounter errors with rsync 3.1.3-3 .

Source: https://www.archlinux.org/news/rsync-compatibility/

Weird font glitches (see screenshots below).

If you have weird glitches like below...

Screenshots

string3
strings%20mismatch

... have you tried turning it off and on again?

More seriously, so far, people that reported to have such issue noticed that the problem goes away at next boot.

Installing xorgproto (2019.2-2) breaks dependency of a package

If you run into an issue because of xorgproto please DON'T follow the Arch suggestion as Manjaro uses the xorgproto-transfer package to make this automatic. If you have an issue, please report and wait for an update from us!

AUR Rebuilds required after updating python 3.7 to 3.8

Packages that depend on python from the AUR will need to be rebuilt after everything else has been updated. You can rebuild some of them with the following:

sudo pacman -S --needed --noconfirm expac yay
yay -S --rebuildtree $(pacman -Qmq $(expac %N python))

You can find other packages that need to be rebuilt by looking at the folders/files in

/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/

To find out what package owns a folder/file in that, you can use the following:

pacman -Qo folder_or_filename

If no package owns a file, it can probably be ignored.

System Settings and kinfocenter crash when entering Night Color settings randomly

Remove entire [NightColor] section of ~/.config/kwinrc
No solution yet ─ please edit as soon as a workaround is found.

xfce4-power-manager does not open / upower fails

Install kernel 4.14 or higher (4.14, 4.19, 5.2 [EOL], 5.3)

There is an issue with upower 0.99.11-1 on kernels 4.4 and 4.9.

xfce4-terminal / guake / gnome-terminal does not open

Update to vte3 0.58.2-1 or install kernel 4.14 or higher (4.14, 4.19, 5.2 [EOL], 5.3)

There is an issue with vte3 0.58.1-1 on kernels 4.4 and 4.9.

Replace linux52 with community/linux-latest ?

linux52 is EOL and has been removed from the repositories. It will be replaced by a metapackage which will from now on keep you on a maintained kernel.

If you want to keep the old kernel and modules then include them in your pacman.conf's IgnorePkg.

Pamac-Qt is not compatible to 9.0 API of Pamac

Pamac Qt 0.3 pre-RC: Towards the release, needs help in testing

gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons

the pkgver 19.10.1 ship with an hook to remove the capability from gnome-shell. A message is present during install but essentially you need to reboot the system to show correctly the icons in the desktop. More info here

If I understand correctly Manjaro has now four stages?

1. Unstable
  2. Testing
  3. Stable-Staging
  4. Stable
    ?
5 Likes

I will stay @ stable because I had no big issues over years

5 Likes

Wouldn't another branch only make things slower ?

3 Likes

@philm Can you elaborate differences between stable and the new stable-staging a bit more? It's hard for me to get an understanding from the description given above.

Thanks!

6 Likes

Hehehe, I just switched my main home PC over and updated flawlessly. The work laptop is staying on stable though.

I think another intermediate repository is overkill. Testing always was pretty stable anyways and I never had complaints that stable wasn't rolling enough... the very occasional time we had to wait more than 2 weeks for an update were not long enough by a long shot to start a worrying FOMO. But we'll see how this works out.

2 Likes

Sure. In our testing branch we have Plasma 5.18 and Frameworks 5.67 plus systemd 244 currently as blocker packages. Normally we would downgrade those packages before we do a stable-snap. However, that might bother people who don't have issues with testing branch. We try now with stable-staging to only push tested packages over to stable and use that layer to do the downgrades as needed.

So when we decide to do another stable-snap we would snap into stable-staging and remove any blocker package. People should only update in stable-staging when there is an announcement. This extra layer is normally hidden, but since we had a huge delay due to Plasma we announced it to the public for further feedback. In the past it was Gnome which mostly broke systems.

So in short: We still recommend people to use testing if they want support a smooth update process.

7 Likes

Current situation is the intended use-case:
At the moment the difference between testing and stable-staging is mostly the plasma 5.18 packages.
Like this we will be able to update stable branch with a snapshot from stable-staging without the need to wait with all packages until the new plasma packages have stabilized.

3 Likes

Seems fair enough if this helps faster updates with less issues I think it should be fine.

Ths has to be clearly announced.

This will change my habits.
I will try on one machine.

Thx to our community members who use testing and give us the needed feedback. Staying on stable is one thing, if you want the smoothest experience. However there is lot of work to get that achieved. Updating single applications like Discord or Brave can be done easily, however when desktop environments or frameworks are in play it may take longer. So we hope with this additional layer to get packages faster to stable as needed.

10 Likes

I use Gnome testing on one machine but did not see any problem. What should we focus on while on testing branch?
I do not tweak much.

Why do you think we do the announcements? This is also valid for stable branch, well it should.

When we sync from Arch packages land in unstable. Then we as developers have to see which of our packages got broken due to the sync. Then we compile our packages against that snapshot of Arch repositories. Then our work gets snapped to testing, on which a wider community will use our packages and report back. When we break stuff we even announce for unstable branch to get feedback there.

Even with all that effort we still can't guarantee that stable would be solid stable as some assume. As everyone else is using stable, issues might still occur. However we try to fix those fast as possible.

It always depends on how you use branches. stable branch is for normal usage. testing for giving feedback as community member. unstable if you want to help as a developer. stable-staging is like having a working layer, we need for getting stable properly. Should not be used for general use.

See it like the staging layer of Arch. They have a slightly different approach. Arch stacks repositories. We use branches. You have core, extra and community plus multilib which should be used. Then there is testing, staging and some *-unstable repositories. The later are only developer repositories to maintain huge stack of rebuilds or possible breakage due to API/ABI changes. So when you look at the todo-list you will find some like this. And with their *-unstable repos they test Gnome and Plasma.

So with Arch you stack the repos in the right order and help that way. A package in Arch flows like this: staging (optional) or *-unstable (optional) > testing > final repos

On Manjaro: Arch final repos > Manjaro Unstable branch > Manjaro Testing branch > Manjaro Stable-Staging branch (optional) > Manjaro Stable branch

7 Likes
  • First of all, give feedback. Even if it is just a positive one.
  • Report bugs as soon as you find any. Best would be at our gitlab instance or mailing lists or forum
  • Make it easy for us to spot a potential issue
  • Encourage others in the community to use testing branch, if they want to give back
  • Vote on any Testing Announcement after you checked your own system, so we have a better % the update will go thru testing fast and land as normal in stable branch
  • Help others, if you can and share your knowledge within our community

This all will help most to have a great user experience with Manjaro Linux.

4 Likes

The update on stable-staging went fine on 3 computers:
2 * KDE and 1 * XFCE.

To be more clear:
Sometimes my laptop (testing) is in suspend overnight and I do a sudo pacman -Syu. My refresh time is set to two hours, but sometimes I'm only 30 minutes at that machine, so...
btw: I don't use arch :clown_face:, but I read all the announcements.

Now I switched to stable-staging with three computers. The update works fine. No problems here.
All computers are running with kde-plasma.

Great job. Thanks to the manjaro-team :grinning: :+1:
regards
caho

In the repo mirrors, there's no stable-staging name. Only stable, testing and unstable.
Is it part of stable repo? thank you.

It will be useful add stable-staging column in Repo Compare at https://manjaro32.org/repo-compare/
Thanks.

Forum kindly sponsored by