[stable] Manjaro LXQt "Ice" 16.05 released

#Manjaro LXQt “Ice” 16.05 released

Hello everyone,

This monthly maintenance ISO is aimed to allow users a “true” (see Notes) experience of this modern desktop. LXQt is one of the lighter desktops (written in QT5 and based on Openbox) for those who seek speed or have older computers with limited resources, but is still very complete.
Last Manjaro-Tools (0.11.6) and stable repositories were used. 32 bits is CD-sized and needs 300 MB for installation with Calamares.

Main programs

• kernel 4.4.11 LTS, Manjaro settings manager, sddm, plymouth, octopi, compton, plank (64 bits)
  • pcmanfm-qt, gimp, lximage-qt
  • firefox(64) or otter-browser(32), hexchat, transmission-qt
  • abiword, qpdfview, gnumeric(64), leafpad
  • mpv, smplayer(mpv based), clementine qt5. 32 -> qastools, 64 -> pulseaudio and pavucontrol
  • gparted, qisousb, lxtask, xsensors
  • multilib enabled (64)
  • ffmpegthumbnailer
  • capture tool + key Print Screen configured for taking screenshots (also with Alt or Shift)
  • xscreensaver (64) or i3lock-shiver (32)
  • nonfree drivers (64)
  • AUR support

This release comes with our advanced graphical installer Calamares as well as our CLI-installer

##Download link

##Notes

Many efforts have been done to avoid:

• Kde tools (too heavy)
  • Qt4 (obsolete)
  • python2 (obsolete)
  • mplayer/mplayer2 (obsolete, replaced by mpv)

So, a few utikities have been specialled developped:

• clementine-lqxt (to avoid Qt4)
  • smplayer-lxqt (to avoid mplayer)

Other tools, themes, icons are available in manjaro-lxqt repository (maintained only by the community).

16 Likes

ooooooooooooooooooo
congrats…:clap: :clap: :clap:
i’ll download…

vlw fwi, Holmes :slight_smile:

Very cool:wink:

db

Again… nice.
numlock is now a simple click. good.
testing soon on screenlock, but I keep clicking away, so I haven’t got time… :smile:

For the moment, no screen locker is installed in the 32 bits. You can use the very light i3lock-shiver.
I worked a lot on power management, but i’m not sure it will fit your needs. :wink:

The biggest work in this ISO was removing all remaining AUR packages.

(edit)
and reducing size.

The screensaver (under prefences) seems to be working wonderfully. It will somewhat pass for the screenlock thingy. Good enough. It think that’s better than the previous versions by far.

As to removing aur package, that’s very good. Helps greatly to have newer linux users feel comfortable.

I’ll second any proposal to have this version as Manjaro official release, not community.
Hopefully Openbox can be made as one too someday.

Thanks. Appreciate your efforts.

This is not really about LXQT, but about the installer.
I had been using calamares so much lately, now I thought I try back my usual cli installer.
The cli installer cannot format the root partition (but no problem, usually i’ve prepared my partitions beforehand) but proceeded sucessfully without formating the partition.

It now also cannot allow me to set my bootloader to its own partition (just mbr, sda) and I choose not to install it.

Calamares is definitely better (just cannot label partition - but okay,use e2label later on).

Both are -exactly- the same than in the official editions. Personnally, I only use Calamares, who progresses well. Luks, for example, will be soon available if not done.

The CLI is less maintained, and it can be a pity. I leave it for special things, but a bit by habit.

I added to the OP a list of the main programs included.

Another LXQt edition, now I have 3 different editions for the same DE! :stuck_out_tongue:
Wonder if we can have one edition with switchable look and feel…

you can create two additional users on one install and copy the contents of the user folders from the two other installs into each created user folder. you need to install the selected themes before trying to log in with the new users.
but honestly it is an overkill ;D

They are mainly the same. I produce them to avoid too many updates for new users.

I think for the next, I hope the new LXQT 0.11 :relaxed:, I will use official Manjaro wallpaper and theme.

I go back in the common manjaro choices.

That doesn’t actually sound bad, after all this theming beauty is what I after :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, you would save the space for root file system and some time for the updates. You can also put your data on a separate partition and mount it on /media/Data.

I adjust also the colors of the different tools (terminal, text editor, image viewer…).

32 bit ISO has 697MB while 64 BIT iso has 1.1GB size. What is the difference between both?

I believe 64 bit ISO is coming with some extra packages. Is it fair to do so instead of providing a minimal edition?

Regards.

you should do is download Meld and compare the Package list… :slight_smile: i gues a lot lib32 also, but at the end must be game compatible :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, Manjaro LXQt 16.05 screenshots are published here.

Regards.

It’s already not so large, if you look at other DEs.

The main difference is than the 64 bits includes non-free drivers and 32 not. But it disappears when installed.
In the 64, multilib is enabled (for games, etc…) because it’s difficult for a user to do that after.

Else:

• gnumeric, who is big
  • gimp replaces mtpaint
  • firefox replaces otter-browser (ram consumption)
  • pulseaudio installed
  • plank (small)
  • smplayer skins and themes
  • xscreensaver
  • bison and svn (for a very complete AUR support)

This ISO is also done to be used for a real work, without addition at the begin.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by