Stable channel update frequency

Quite a hostile response to a genuine question merely seeking to clarify update frequency.

You may wish to check you presumptions before making such comments.

…it might hurt you a little bit, but it’s true.

I don’t think I’m the one who has been hurt.

Peace friends, fighting is not yet justified, our civilisation’s total collapse is not yet official, closest and closest but at this time we still have enough food clothes petrol and electricity to access internet, it’s not war, not a real one, just a forum where simple egos war are not in place :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @bozzoh for the peacemaking words.

The semi-rollings method therefore suit me very well, preferring stability and security to the very latest version number which I don’t really care about as long as it’s fully functional and stable

This mirrors my view too

Didn’t know about this, incredibly handy, thanks!

It’s surely easy to understand.

I guess I’m a bit of a genius… my computer comes on at 6am, I put the screen on at 6.15 and see updates, open a terminal and run upg - because I’m very lazy.

upg does pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --aur --devel which (as I’m really pretty dumb) I copied from a clever person and memorized (as an alias / abbr).

Then I go to the bathroom, or maybe go grab coffee first if I’m too tired and lazy to walk to the bathroom yet… and woah, five minutes later it’s all finished and it took up absolutely NONE of my time at all.

But yes, I understand, for folks who have the computer right next to the bed and have no time for bathroom visits, or kitchen visits, it’s quite feasible that there won’t be time.

Please, if you need any more TOP TIPS, contact me directly - I’ve got a million of them.

You’re quite right.

I’m sorry, I completely missed that part of the question - answering only ‘I don’t have time for this!’ even though half these updates take less time than it takes to shutdown Windows.

2 Likes

I think smaller and more frequent updates probably lean more to stability and (like the last one) take less than half the time.

3 Likes

And let’s not even begin to talk about updating Windows, right… :roll_eyes:

Agreed. And you tend to sweat under the collar lesser too…! :rofl: :rofl:

I’d rather do 100 push-ups than a Windows update. I’m pretty sure that the place in hell naughty linux users are sent to is the one where they are forced to run Windows updates the whole time for eternity. Be good, guys.

Back on topic, I too prefer 1-2 stable updates per month. While skipping Manjaro updates isn’t a problem (I did it for over 6 months on an old machine I seldom use), I run each and every stable update on my main machines, because if an update breaks something it would be more difficult to isolate the cause if I ran multiple updates in one go, and the older updates thread would have been closed by then. However, updating more often is more time consuming overall: more threads to follow, more reboots and more checks that all is working OK after the update.

Of course, if updates are needed to fix issues then they should be released ASAP, which was the case for the last few updates.

2 Likes

I reckon you summed it up there :+1: I still break out in cold sweat with reminiscence of Windows 10… :frowning_face:

Not that useful as it reflects people votes, which, when you analyze the threads, is often people complaining of breakage because of their AUR packages, because of their inexistent kernels they keep, because of the warning they didn’t read in the announcement itself, and so on.

So in reality it is useful to see people’s votes. That’s all, it doesn’t reflect real world, but these people’s perception (sure there are legitimate votes about real issues in the update, but just follow the announcement threads in the Stable forum for a year, read all messages, you’ll understand…

Usually there is no issue with updates in the Stable channel, there may be actions to take for something that changed (usually explained when this is the case, in the announcement), but real issues are not that common honestly.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t see what the problem is. 1 or 2 updates per month, with a sudden increase to 3 or 4, for a short time

I was getting 2 or 3 updates per week, sometimes more, while running Linux Mint Cinnamon, and it is not a rolling release distro.

1 Like

Well, it is quite simple actually: We as a distro provide updates as we see fit. You as a user can read about the updates in our announcements and decide if you want to update or not. Sometimes you work on something and the current system is fine, you don’t need to install new applications nor have issues with security on your personal computer.

Sometimes I even update some machines when I power them on after a while or have to work on something later. In the end it is all about information out there. A CPU can’t be fully secure so vendors and upstream have to push out updates. Us distros should push them out too. If however the updates break some or need another update, we follow.

Manjaro already provides 3 branches which update in a different manner. You can check the mailing list when something gets updated. Micro updates like one or two packages we don’t announce but stable was updated today for example 3 times already. Most won’t notice that as those are fixes to specific problems.

3 Likes

Sure, I take those votes with a big grain of salt but it can be useful as a hint if an update has a catastrophic vote count.

1 Like