OpenDNS ... Dynamic Updater

I use OpenDNS to filter content for the family … which worked just fine until my ISP decided to operate with Dynamic IP instead of Static IP. I have followed all the suggested methods i can find on the net regarding ddclient and NetworkManager, as well as that suggested by OpenDNS Support, to no avail …
changes in IP are not transferred to OpenDNS!

Any suggestions on how i might trouble shoot this problem. Thanks

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.101.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.15-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM

DDNS?

13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: updating BertStreet: authorization failed (HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: date: Sat, 13 May 2023 00:13:18 GMT
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: server: opendns
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: www-authenticate: Basic realm=“RESTRICTED”
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: x-envoy-upstream-service-time: 36
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: x-ingress-point: mel1
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: connection: close
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: transfer-encoding: chunked
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED:
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: 7
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: badauth
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: 0
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED:
13/5/23 8:13 AM ddclient FAILED: )

########################

OpenDNS.com account-configuration

daemon=300
syslog=yes
pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
protocol=dyndns2
use=web, web=myip.dnsomatic.com
ssl=yes
server=updates.opendns.com
login=xxxxxxx
password=xxxxxxxx
label

What appears to be the most relevant advice i find at this link;

Sync Dynamic IP with OpenDNS

Has anybody else been able to follow this and get it to update the IP and OpenDNS??

I don’t understand the issue here. I have a dynamic IP, I use customized DNS servers. This has nothing to do with it.

There should be no correlation between IP and DNS (but you can assign a DNS resolver for a given interface). If you want to use OpenDNS as a resolver, simply put its IP to /etc/resolv.conf, remove the others. sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf afterwards to prevent changes by other apps. Verify with resolvectl status.

Other approaches include

That is an upstream resolver

Using an upstream resolver to filter bad content has nothing to do with your public IP as provided by your ISP.

Dynamic DNS however is completely different and is used to be able to access your home network from outside using a custom domain name.

An update script will be initiated from inside your network - thus revealing your public IP to the DDNS service which then assign that IP a predefined custom domain.

I guess they are paying for the service, so you must give them your IP that they can authenticate.
With a roaming IP, this is not possible. Could you ask their customer support what to do on this case?

What you are trying to do is not to update any filters but to broadcast - to selected services - when your public IP changes.

The reason for using this can be anything from hosting your own cloud, a website - or to provide ssh access into your home network while away.

Do you really need to access devices at home - while away?

If not then you don’t need the service.

If you need the service then you will have to configure the service account according to the specifications of your provider.

EDIT:

After digging my old OpenDNS account up and checking - there is indeed a need to let OpenDNS know about any changes in the IP because OpenDNS offers individual filtering including whitelisting domans otherwise blocked.

My above comment on broadcasting your IP change to OpenDNS service still stands. You need configure according to provider instruction - especially username and password.

EDIT2:

I am sure the instructions worked for the author.

Just remember that the last line in the config is the label of the network you created in your OpenDNS dashboard.

And you may need to run the ddclient.service manually at least once to update your dnsomatic opendns service

sudo systemctl start ddclient.service

The changes needed may vary depending on which resolver you use.

Manjaro default to using openresolv

:point_down:

I guess if the issue is (to this point he didn’t clarify anything, the thread makes no sense) about how to configure services to synchronize the ISP IP with other services, like an OpenDNS customer account, then he already has the solution, he posted the link to it.

1 Like

SOLVED:

The reason i could not get the ddclient script to update OpenDNS with my changing IP was because of the password i was using. As it turns out the password to log on to OpenDNS cannot contain an ampersand if updating one’s IP address via ddclient!!

HOWEVER, when changing the password manually at OpenDNS the user is forced to add a ‘special character’ … and the ampersand is suggested as being valid!!

I have since provided this feedback and while one still needs to use a ‘special character’ in their logon password they have removed reference that the Ampersand is valid.:smile:

In any case, to prevent this issue ever occurring again I have requested and been given a STATIC IP address from my ISP.

No more need to update a changing IP address with OpenDNS anymore!!! :wink:

Thank you all for your contributions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.