SSD doesn't get mounted to back up its content

Hey!
I have a friend’s Samsung laptop using Window$ 10 which doesn’t boot into the operating system. I removed the SSD since I tried to repair the start up with no success. I connected it into my Linux machine in order to back up his information, but Manjaro does not recognize it with the file explorer. Furthermore, when I use gsmartcontrol to check its health, it pops up this:

Short INQUIRY response, skip product id
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

A few attempts before it was recognized for just a bit, so I started to back up, but then I couldn’t keep going due to a read error. The fdisk -l command doesn’t show the device listed.
How can I check if the SSD is dying and/or back up its content? :thinking:

Thanks in advance!
Alex.

Direct SATA connection, or through a USB adapter/bay?

EDIT: Besides, the reason you’re trying to do this in the first place is likely due to a hardware failure, as hinted in your opening:

1 Like

It is connected through SATA port.

Then it’s not looking good. :pensive: I was hoping that maybe if you’re using a USB-to-SATA adapter, you could try to use a direct SATA connection instead.

Now I’m more convinced it’s a failing / failed drive.

• :warning: Windows cannot boot anymore from this SSD
  • :warning: I/O errors
  • :warning: Not detected by fdisk and cannot read the information via smartctl

Is there another PC or laptop you can try this on, to at least rule out the computer?

1 Like

What I can do is connect it using a USB-to-SATA adapter.

Not worth it. Connecting it directly to a SATA port is preferable.

You could just try it for the heck of it, but I’m like 99% certain it won’t be any better than using SATA directly.

I also strongly believe the drive is failing, if not outright dead.

Another shot in the dark is to use a different SATA port, or different cable, or make sure the connection is tight and secure… or all the above. :wink:

If you’re lucky, that’s all it was.

Connected through an adapter I could copy just a folder, but now I’m having reading problems again. Could it be a SATA cable problem instead?

Didn’t you just have a cable problem recently? :smile:

No, what I did was just test it via SATA, but I didn’t check more cables. I think I’m gonna check the SSD using more SATA cables.

Cables, ports, and connections can lead you astray, mimicking a drive or hardware failure.

If you have a different SATA cable to test this with, you might get lucky.

I would consider the three variables, other than the drive itself: (1) is the connection on the drive and port secure? (2) is the cable itself bad? (3) is the port on the motherboard failing?

Using another SATA cable, the Manjaro file explorer showed the disk, but as soon as I clicked on it, this message appeared:

An error occurred while accessing '222.3 GiB Internal Drive (sdc2)', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdc2 at /run/media/alejandro/266C17996C1762BB: Unknown error when mounting /dev/sdc2

It seems that the SSD device is dead. I must say that BIOS doesn’t recognize it either.

Sadly, this seems to be the situation. When Windows fails to boot, it sometimes serves as a red herring that there are I/O errors, thus fleeting drive failure. In fact, it’s fortunate when Windows fails to boot, otherwise, it will happily start, meanwhile you are unaware of an imminent drive failure and continue to corrupt your files. Nor will you have the urgency to backup your irreplaceable data (or even verify your existing backups are accessible.)

2 Likes

I was just able to backup one folder: The Windows Desktop.

Hope your friend has working backup copies of their important data. :crossed_fingers:

I don’t know, but I told him already the bad news; it seems that he doesn’t have too much information to be worry about. And thank you @winnie for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.