Speeding Up Stable Kernel Releases

Would it be at all possible to speed up the release of the stable kernel versions available, as this is the brains of the system and it would be a good idea to keep this as up to date as possible. we are currently 4 versions behind with the 5.7.x kernel.

Also, is there some way to make sure that the latest stable kernel is always updated even though a kernel changes from 5.7-5.8 etc

There is the linux-latest package for that.

There is two meta packages in the repo.

• linux-lts - follows that latest lts kernel
  • linux-latest - follows the latest stable kernel

For you question on getting kernels into stable faster - I have not idea - but I can imagine - it could create issues

the 5 is the version the .7 or .8 is the point release, might want to learn the difference.

just found that linux-latest is still currently linked to kernel 5.6.x

I find this mindset comes more from the Windows world than it does the Linux world. Unless there is a specific bug or feature you’re looking for in a new kernel release, there’s really no need to update right away. Really the goal should be to find and use the most stable kernel for your system. Much like BIOS updates, my feeling for kernels is - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

7 Likes
sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

... and you are always up to date

1 Like

they are some reasons if theses kernels are not at end build :

• need returns on microcode for ivy bridge
  • also new mitigations
  • version 5.7.4 is a urgent patch for 5.7.3
  • need good version linux firmware
1 Like

There is little point in using the latest kernel if all your hardware works well and everything is running okay.

2 Likes

If you want that, you may be better off using unstable instead of stable. stable is a little delayed by design and can sometimes be further delayed whenever a major gnome or kde release comes through.

1 Like

Or you life with this argument: „no risk no fun“ :crazy_face::wink: like I’m do on my old machine

... but keep in mind your system can break (kernel panics and other thinks)
But if you have a problem like this some of the community member can help you out. - this makes Linux great :slight_smile:

... and you can help out Manjaro at the first parts of development if you use unstable :sunglasses:

yep i understand all this. i haven't used windows for over 10 years. however, i still have this mindset of updating regularly. i suppose if it is working well don't update.

Forum kindly sponsored by