Specific font for a second non Latin script language

I’m using Urdu and occasionally Arabic and Persian on my system. My system languages are English UK, English US, and Urdu at the moment, though I’ll probably add Arabic and Persian into the mix later. What is bothersome is that the font used for these languages with Arabic script, at the moment specifically Urdu, often don’t display the words properly and make it very difficult to read the text. I have heard of and tried some ways to change the font specifically for some languages in my system but haven’t succeeded. Looking for a solution so I can browse English and similar Latin script languages in the default fonts but browse Urdu and similar Arabic script languages in another font. If this is possible, is there also some method to specify exactly which style of the font you want used? Like for serif use the regular variety of the font but for sans-serif use the italic variety? Asking this because the font I want to use has a variety that came bundled under the same name, except in italics. If not, I guess I’ll have to find some way to rename the font and install it as a separate font altogether after deleting this variety under the Italic heading for the same font somehow.

System is running KDE Plasma.

I think I’ve fixed it. I added these lines to my file at /home/smarizvi/.config/fontconfig/

<alias>
  <family>serif</family>
  <prefer>
   <family>Noto Serif</family>
     <family>Jameel Noori Nastaleeq</family>
    <style>Italic</style>
    <family>_PDMS_Saleem_QuranFont</family>
  </prefer>
 </alias>
 <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
 <alias>
  <family>sans-serif</family>
  <prefer>
   <family>Noto Sans</family>
     <family>Jameel Noori Nastaleeq</family>
  </prefer>
 </alias>
 <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
 <alias>
  <family>monospace</family>
  <prefer>
   <family>Noto Serif</family>
     <family>Nafees</family>
  </prefer>
 </alias>
</fontconfig>
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.