Speakers suddenly stopped outputting anything

Headsets work fine and probably bluetooth speakers (haven’t tried those), but the laptop’s in-built speakers randomly stopped working. I don’t know when they stopped doing because I was busy trying to resolve my issues with installing the unity editor (worst experience in any software I’ve ever had). I’ve tried everything I can think of and I’m outa ideas, digging into hardware issues is not my forte, I normally leave everything but volume and resolution well alone. I’ve tried looking around similar topics but haven’t spotted anything that would help me yet. For now here’s some results of the possible commands you’ll want me to run:

inxa -Fazy

Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16
    link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 04:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:1637
    class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: AMD ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK
    driver: N/A alternate: snd_pci_acp3x, snd_rn_pci_acp3x, snd_pci_acp5x,
    snd_pci_acp6x, snd_acp_pci, snd_rpl_pci_acp6x, snd_pci_ps,
    snd_sof_amd_renoir, snd_sof_amd_rembrandt, snd_sof_amd_vangogh pcie: gen: 3
    speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 04:00.5
    chip-ID: 1022:15e2 class-ID: 0480
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16
    link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 04:00.6 chip-ID: 1022:15e3
    class-ID: 0403
  Device-4: Formosa USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid type: USB rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    lanes: 1 mode: 2.0 bus-ID: 3-1.4.1:10 chip-ID: 147a:e055 class-ID: 0300
  API: ALSA v: k6.6.10-1-MANJARO status: kernel-api with: aoss
    type: oss-emulator tools: alsactl,alsamixer,amixer
  Server-1: sndiod v: N/A status: off tools: aucat,midicat,sndioctl
  Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.22 status: off tools: N/A
  Server-3: PipeWire v: 1.0.0 status: active with: 1: wireplumber
    status: active 2: pipewire-alsa type: plugin tools: pw-cat,pw-cli,wpctl
  Server-4: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active tools: pacat,pactl,pavucontrol

hdajackretask & pulse audio mixer (accessed via the system tray so not sure on exact command)

Had video playing in background to indicate I had checked volume 1st.

Is there anything else I should try?

Edit: the BT speakers I had WERE working as a substitute but now this morning they don’t, I did notice the USB sound card was incorrectly configured as HD True Audio instead of 7.1 Surround Sound so I corrected that, however that was before using the BT speakers.

In the second pic, Volume Control window, Output Devices; the USB 2.0 High-Speed True HD device is muted, click on the left of the 3 icons on the right to unmute.

If that doesn’t help try the Configuration tab and see if you can change to your desired Output Device.

No, that’s just the mute button, when it’s muted the button is a darker shade of grade

Edit: As for the configuration tab, it only let’s me change the types for known sound controllers, not devices specifically

Server-3: PipeWire v: 1.0.0 status: active with: 1: wireplumber
    status: active 2: pipewire-alsa type: plugin tools: pw-cat,pw-cli,wpctl
  Server-4: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active tools: pacat,pactl,pavucontrol

As far as I know you should have either Pulseaudio or Pipewire active but not both. I’m on Xfce and I have removed pipewire after it introduced issues, my sound servers look like this:

Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.0 status: off with: 1: pipewire-media-session
  Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active with: pulseaudio-alsa
    type: plugin tools: pacat,pactl,pavucontrol

Check this forum for ‘remove pipewire’ or wait 'til someone more knowledgeable than me can give you better info/directions.

Did it require a reboot? I did just replace something of pipewire with an alsa variant just a few minutes ago, haven’t rebooted yet though

I’d think so, yes.

Alright, see you in a few

Edit: Nope, reboot didn’t help, my laptop does have a [Fn] though, when I hit the mute combo twice the speakers do give A sound but beyond that my problem doesn’t get fixed so I don’t think it’s the mute issue.

Edit 2: Given the lack of option between in-built speakers and BT speakers I do believe something fundamental has gone wrong at device enumeration/enablement area of things

Edit 3: I briefly had the BT speakers working earlier so I thought to try unplugging them to see if the laptop would switch to it’s built-in speakers. Regretted that choice as the whole system crashed, I guess it’s not designed to expect those red and white…jacks? to be removed during a game’s usage of it.

Edit 4: Ran pulseaudio-ctl and got this:

pulseaudio-ctl v1.70

/usr/bin/pulseaudio-ctl {up,down,mute,mute-input,set,atmost,full-status} [n]

Where up and down adjust volume in ±5 % increments
 Where up and down [n] adjust volume in ±n % increments
 Where mute toggles the mute status on/off
 Where mute-input toggles the input status on/off
 Where set set the volume to [n] %
 Where atmost only takes effect if current volume is higher than [n]
 Where full-status prints volume level, sink and source mute state to stdout

Optionally, redefine an upper threshold in /home/zxuiji/.config/pulseaudio-ctl/config

Volume level     : 92 %
 Is sink muted    : no
 Is source muted  : yes
 Detected sink    : 0
 Detected source  : 1

That “Is source muted” seems iffy to me, dunno what to make of it though as I would normally not touch this stuff for the sake of my own sanity. Gonna take a bath since I don’t expect a fast response on this edit.

btw if manjaro devs or even better the pipewire and pulseaudio devs see this message, then I have a suggestion, since pipewire is clearly becoming the default, wouldn’t it make more sense to recode pulseaudio to rely entirely on pipewire’s variables by just pointing it’s own variables at pipewire’s? Should in theory resolve the mix & match issue and allow both to co-exist. Sure the variables pavucontrol etc change will need to be changed to those of pipewire but that should be a relatively easy fix in comparison to trying to maintain compatibility at the binary level between the 2 standards.

Installed the manjaro-pipewire package instead, it being XFCE I had assumed it was still on X11 and thus was using pulseaudio. Was actually on XWayland and as soon as the package finished installing the video that was stuck in the background started playing the BT speakers started playing the audio from said video. Gonna wait on the video to finish (to give the view YT didn’t register because I had downloaded it during the early stages where I thought it was a network issue) before disconnecting the now jack connected BT speakers. Used an adaptor to connect the white & red slots to a female jack slot which has the actual jack inside it.

Edit: Didn’t like that either, but didn’t cause a crash this time, 'bout to reboot laptop since I mistakenly assumed that because the sound card was PNP that I could just remove it will and pop it in at will again after (for moving the wire) but nope, system doesn’t see it now so gotta reboot.

In mean time any thoughts on my custom makefile for simplifying manually overriding the volume control linked commands?

VOL_OGA?=/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/audio-volume-change.oga
WPCTL_STEP?=0.05
PACTL_STEP?=5
exec=$(if $(wildcard /bin/$1),$1 $2)
wpctl=$(call exec,wpctl,$1)
pactl=$(if $(wpctl),,$(call exec,pactl,$1))
paplay=$(call exec,paplay,$1)
pulseaudio-ctl=$(call exec,pulseaudio-ctl,$1)

inc:
	$(call paplay,$(VOL_OGA))
	$(call wpctl,set-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ $(WPCTL_STEP)+)
	$(call pactl,set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +$(PACTL_STEP)%)

dec:
	$(call paplay,$(VOL_OGA))
	$(call wpctl,set-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ $(WPCTL_STEP)-)
	$(call pactl,set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ -$(PACTL_STEP)%)

Edit 2: No idea how but after a trip to college (need a specific qualification for a job hunting scheme) the speaker issue had resolved itself (only BT speakers had been working before I left).

I guess something in the motherboard’s connections had gotten corrupted somehow (is that even a thing?). Takeaway for future readers, try leaving the laptop/desktop/whatever off for long enough for all residual session data to clear.