Speakers not auto-muting when headphones in

Hello guys.
So I have two issues with sound on a fresh install:

1. my speakers show up as (unavailable)
  2. when headphones are selected and plugged in, my speakers do not auto mute.

I am not so much concerned with 1 as I am with 2.
I have checked with alsamixer and I do have automuting enabled. Pulseaudio has Analog Stereo Duplex selected.
Here's the output of aplay -l, pactl list cards and pactl list sinks. Please let me know if there's any other diagnostics I should provide.

One question: what did the page show you before you started typing your post, but after you typed the name of your thread and selected the right category? Wasn't there some text, some extended text advising you how to creat a decent post? Something like:

Use a "keyword search" to make sure your question has not already been asked. For example "failed to verify key" or "sound is muted".

Make sure you include enough detail so people know what you are running. A useful command is inxi -Fxz; copy and paste the text and format as "code" (e.g. use the </> button above).

If possible, paste text rather than upload a photo. Text is easier to read, searchable, and takes up less space on the server. Please don't upload high-resolution photos.

For more information read this post: How to provide good information in your posts

Remember to remove all of this help text before you post.

Speakers not getting muted when you plugin headset is a hardware issue.

What cause it is hard to say - but a defect it is.

I don't know - maybe the that is not fully inserted?

Only one playback device shown for Analog audio playback in aplay -l

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: Generic Analog [Generic Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

so have to switch between ports on same device shown in pactl list sinks

Ports:
        analog-output-speaker: Speakers (priority: 10000, not available)
        analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority: 9000, available)
Active Port: analog-output-headphones

so should be able to change output port manually in pavucontrol --tab 2
(may need to install pavucontrol-qt or pavucontrol on KDE)

suspect that audio device shown as 'Generic Analog' may not be detected properly in ALSA
usually expect to see number of audio codec chip
and may require kernel fixup from - https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.2/sound/hd-audio/models.html

please post system information inxi -SMz

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Nikgnomic, here's the output.

Host: devotee Kernel: 5.2.11-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 1 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Convertible System: ASUSTeK product: TP510UQ v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TP510UQ v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: TP510UQ.203 
           date: 08/16/2017 

In addition, my chip name is Conexant Generic and the soundcard's name is snd_hda_intel. Will look for more solutions and update.

cannot find anything online about Asus Vivobook 15 related to Linux.
Whatever Conexant codec it might be, i see nothing on any of them related to Asus

please use alsa-info.sh --upload and post link

and install alsa-tools (if not already installed)
for hdajacksensetest
to see text data about jack-detection

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by