I have been using manjaro for around 6 months and after the initial installation everything worked perfectly until today. Today when I turned on my laptop and tried to listen to music the audio would not work, which I found very odd because I had not made any changes to my system recently.
I am using pulseaudio. When I go open PulseAudio Volume Control I notice that there are no output devices even when my speakers are connected and under configuration all options for built in audio are unavailable.
and rebooted as suggested, but still had the same issue. The only output shown on PulseAudio Volume Control was still Dummy output. So I decided to downgrade as suggested and the same issue persisted. I didn’t really know what additional information I could provide.
This is the command you asked me to run
[jp@jp-laptop ~]$ pulseaudio -vv
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
D: [pulseaudio] core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
D: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 12.0-dirty
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation host: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation CFLAGS: -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wall -W -Wextra -Wno-long-long -Wno-overlength-strings -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wformat-nonliteral -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align -Wstrict-aliasing -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option -fdiagnostics-color=auto
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running on host: Linux x86_64 4.14.54-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jul 8 19:14:13 UTC 2018
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Found 4 CPUs.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compiled with Valgrind support: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in valgrind mode: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in VM: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Optimized build: yes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: FASTPATH defined, only fast path asserts disabled.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Machine ID is f57b45db5ba44d8a851e85862d42a7a0.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Session ID is c2.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using runtime directory /run/user/1000/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using state directory /home/jp/.config/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib/pulse-12.0/modules.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode: no
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
Another weird detail is yesterday when I reinstalled the packages alsa-firmware, alsa-lib-x205ta, alsa-plugins, alsa-utils, pulseaudio, pulseaudio-alsa, pulseaudio-bluetooth and rebooted my sound worked for around 30 seconds but then broke again. The oddest part about this is when I did the same thing again nothing happened.
There are a couple of things that seems to be strange, at least as i understand it. I understand that we have different audio cards, but here is one thing on my end:
while on your end
after this, on your end, it fails with a duplicate “Successfully made thread” … and pulseaudio: E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
So, can you check if the /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service looks like this or is different:
# Note that notify will only work if --daemonize=no