Sound over HDMI or DP with AMD/Nvidia Hybrid setup

Hey guys,

I can’t get sound over HDMI or (preferably) DisplayPort working.
I’m using driver video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-455xx-prime and video-linux, configured by mhwd. Only thing I’ve tweaked is the xorg conf, just in order to get external displays working.

~ >>> inxi -GA                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 455.45.01 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Renoir driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           Device-3: Luxvisions Innotech Limited HP Wide Vision HD Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,nvidia resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 2560x1440~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce RTX 2060/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 455.45.01 
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA TU106 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor driver: snd_rn_pci_acp3x 
           Device-3: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.18-1-MANJARO 
~ >>> aplay -l   
**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
Karte 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], Gerät 0: ALC245 Analog [ALC245 Analog]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
  Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0

I’ve also tried the workaround proposed here, but the only thing that changed was the output of aplay -L - still couldn’t select any of the external screens as output sink.

~ >>> aplay -l                                                                                                                                                                                                    
**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
Karte 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], Gerät 0: ALC245 Analog [ALC245 Analog]
  Sub-Geräte: 0/1

I’ve seen this to work out-of-the-box with the nouveau driver on a live USB stick, but I couldn’t get nouveau to work properly with external displays.
I tried upgrading to kernel 5.9, but that just broke bluetooth unfortunately.

Any help is appreciated, as I’m not really into this kind of driver stuff and just try to get my new notebook fully functional.

Just figured it out: pulseaudio wasn’t able to properly configure the card beaucse of a missing profile (at least that’s what the error said).
Needed to downgrade alsa-lib and lib32-alsa-lib to 1.3, seems to be a known bug with alsa >1.4 .
Geez, that was complicated but - once again - that’s the way to learn about the OS of your choice! Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.