Sound not working after update to Linux kernel 5.7.14+/5.8.0+

Hi @nikgnomic ,

Thanks for the new comment. I do have all three of these files and all are owned by pulseaudio.

Hi @stephane – I don’t see options for either in the boot kernel.

the profile and mixer-paths configuration is invoked by udev rule 90-pulseaudio.rules
which should detect the VendorID and ProductID for the headset and apply the pulseaudio profile

please post response to:

cat /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-pulseaudio.rules | grep arctis-5

to check if the udev rule has the correct VendorID and ProductID

your alsa-info data is showing VendorID = 1038 and ProductID= 12aa

!!USB Mixer information

USB Mixer: usb_id=0x103812aa, ctrlif=3, ctlerr=0
Card: SteelSeries SteelSeries Arctis 5 at usb-0000:09:00.3-6.3, full speed

!!-------Mixer controls for card S5

Card hw:2 'S5'/'SteelSeries SteelSeries Arctis 5 at usb-0000:09:00.3-6.3, full speed'
  Mixer name	: 'USB Mixer'
  Components	: 'USB1038:12aa'
2 Likes

I deleted what was there and re-added them (and provided perms), re-started pulseaudio, and then rebooted the PC – and it started working again.

I believe I have this same issue (same headset), unfortunately I have been unable to fix it in the same way!

Never mind, I was able to fix it! One needs to change the line in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-pulseaudio.rules that has Arctis-5 in it to have:

ATTRS{idProduct}==“12aa”

instead of

ATTRS{idProduct}==“1250”

Then reload the udev rules (udevadm control --reload-rules && udevadm trigger), kill pulseaudio (pulseaudio -k), and then unplug the headset and plug it back in. Then it worked again!

3 Likes

Today, I’ve had exactly the same issue after updated kernel to 5.7.15-1-MANJARO.
Since this is not the first time this happens after updating kernels (previously on other distrio’s) I was already aware of the product id sometimes changing for no apparent reason.
And idd, after fixing in udev rules pulseaudio, it started working again. Selecting game-output however only gives sound through one of the earbuds but chat-output works fine. I believe I’ve always used chat output so far.

What is the reason that the product id for arctis 5 seems so volatile? Who’s making this change so often?
How can we “fix” that?

thanks your fix really help me

The hardware manufacturer assigns the Product ID code
USB\VID_1038 - SteelSeries ApS | Device Hunt

The udev rules for this VendorID has 4 rules for Arctis 7 headsets with different ProductID codes

cat /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-pulseaudio.rules | grep ==“1038”

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.