Sound card driver did not get integrated with gnome

Hi, all I followed the arch way cli way to install my Manjaro. I followed everything to point. @linux-aarhus used his cli guide. My system is configured overclocked and snappy as hell. but the problem is I have sound so I did not notice this problem earlier. I used manajro mhwd to install all drivers. The sound card driver alsa is not integrated with gnome. Gnome sound control does not work. Except for that everything is in order. Can anyone help?

here is cli installation package list: Bitbucket

It has been many years since I used Gnome and many things has changed with relation to audio - perhaps wireplumber package?

Theres a several pipewire packages in the official repo - to honest - I don’t know what you are missing.

1 Like

That could be the solution. I will implement it and update you. I have pipewire-media-session instead of wireplumber.

I disabled the service with systemctl and uninstalled it and now installed wireplumber. but I still have sound but gnome does not recognize that I have sound. maybe some of the config files did not get created.

Sound card drivers are integrated into ALSA; which is integrated into Linux kernel

Most ALSA packages are shown as installed:

• alsa-lib
  • alsa-plugins
  • alsa-topology-conf
  • alsa-ucm-conf
  • sof-firmware

But missing alsa-utils that provides commands to manage or diagnose ALSA. Even if ALSA is working flawlessly (as it usually does) user would still want to use alsamixer or amixer to adjust settings to personal preference at least one time

PulseAudio packages for audio playback to ALSA and Bluetooth are shown as installed:

• pulseaudio
  • pulseaudio-alsa
  • pulseaudio-bluetooth

Package jack2 is shown as installed so you may want to consider installing pulseaudio-jack for JACK support in PulseAudio

Only 2 PipeWire packages are shown as installed:

• pipewire
  • alsa-card-profiles

pipewire-media-session is not shown as installed

I suggest you check drivers and audio servers

inxi -Ax

If response shows both PulseAudio and PipeWire are running

Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.56 running: yes

Either turn off and disable PipeWire server

systemctl --user disable --now pipewire.socket pipewire.service

Or install PipeWire packages to replace PulseAudio packages

• pipewire-pulse
  • pipewire-alsa

If audio is still not working as expected check audio cards detected in PulseAudio/PipeWire

pactl list cards

I also suggest installing PulseAudio Volume Control pavucontrol to check audio settings for PulseAudio or PipeWire

1 Like

Sadly that didn’t work for me

Could you give a little more background about your problem? Did you use the CLI installation method or calamares? For me I once i followed the instructions and reinstalled the drivers it started working after a reboot.

I have a issue report about it,

The issue I now have is the master audio is not syncing all my app and system volume levels together to the master one. Adjusting the system volume does nothing unless I turn it down to 0 but is stuck at 100% but I can adjust the app volumes individually in gnome

I suggest check these files

etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 
/usr/share/alsa-card-profile/mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common
.asoundrc

and try to define the model of your card or set it to auto

try installing

sudo pacman -S pulseaudio-support pulseaudio-bluetooth

Try:

systemctl --user start pipewire-pulse.service
systemctl --user start pipewire-pulse.socket
gnome-volume-control-applet

check if its running

finally check this link for more information: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture/Troubleshooting - ArchWiki

They thanks for the reply, this is a quick reply to everything you have said.

You wrote the path incorrectly but it’s /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf you missed the / root path at the start.

in that file I have already put a option for the card which made the speakers work

options snd-hda-intel model=asus-zenbook

What exactly do I need to do in /usr/share/alsa-card-profile/mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common .asoundrc sorry?

pulseaudio-support doesn’t exist

I already have and use pipewire and isn’t a existing command

Also to add that I have found and posted on my issue post

"What I have found that on both the ROG Strix and the 2015 iMac is setting it to pro audio works and allows to adjust the volume but!

sadly the headphone jack stops works on both devices"

Manjaro does not have etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf installed by default like some other distributions. But there is a partially working model option in place so user probably created a .conf file for it

Package pipewire-alsa creates ALSA configuration file /etc/alsa/conf.d/99-pipewire-default.conf to set PipeWire as default sound server in ALSA
Manjaro users should not need to create an ~/.asoundrc configuration to replace default ALSA configuration

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.