Soquartz-CM4 image for Quartz64-A hardware

Hi,

I downloaded latest minimal testing image for soquartz-cm4 and it doesn’t boot because it is configured for Quartz-B hardware. I thought all soquartz boards are Quartz64-A (including my board).

Therefore, is there a latest Quartz64-A soquartz-cm4 image somewhere I could download, or perhaps I can build it myself if there are some instructions I could be pointed to?

There are 3 different devices in your post.

1. SoQuartz-cm4, which is a module for a baseboard
  2. Quartz64-A, which is the model A size of the Quartz64
  3. Quartz64-B, which is the model B sized (also known as Raspberry Pi size) of the Quartz64.

So which of those 3 do you actually have?
If you have the soquartz, you should use the images for the SoQuartz-CM4. We only have Dev images available for this platform, so it’s not guaranteed to work, especially since I don’t have a device to test it on.

1 Like

I have a soquartz cm4. That’s why I downloaded soquartz build image.

That image does not boot. It starts booting which I can see on the serial console, but then crashes. One of the messages it displays before it crashes mentions running on Quartz64 - B.

Based on this I believe u-boot within that image appears to have been configured for Quartz64 - B despite the file in manjaro arm profiles mentioning `uboot-soquartz-cm4’

I know Quartz64-A is a different hardware, but u-boot configured for Quartz64-A at least manages to boot and load the kernel on soquartz. While it appears u-boot configured for Quartz64-B crashes before it can load the kernel.

So my question is, has anyone ever managed to boot manjaro Linux on soquartz and if yes, which release and image version was used? Also, did Ethernet work(as in actually work, not just showing link state changes, but sending and receiving data).

@spikerguy, you have the SoQuartz64, does the recent Dev images work on it still?

1 Like

will have to test it tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi , I installed the latest image of manjaro arm for soquarzt-cm4 and it booted normally but the os couldn’t recognize the wifi card of the module and there wasn’t no physical interface shown in iw dev .

I’m not sure Wifi/bt is enabled in the DTS yet.

How can i enable it is there any configuration on the boot folder ?

Hi again i want to use the soquartz pine64 with a raspberry pi compute module 4 that requires to add this line dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host on /boot/config.txt in raspberry os / ubuntu , because by default usb ports are disabled i was wondering where can i add this in manjaro so it works as well ?

I don’t understand this part. The SoQuartz is a module and the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 is also a module. You need 1 module and one baseboard.

Hi i am using the raspberry pi 4 compute module IO board to test the soquartz and the manjaro image works but the usb ports for the IO board are disabled by default and whatever device i plug it doesn’t show anything on lsusb . Because of that i read at the raspberry pi doc that the line dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host needs to be added in order to enable the usb ports in my IO board but i dont know where to add this configuration on manjaro .

In doing some research it appears that soquartz module was designed to work with the cm4 I/O board but support may be lacking as for assorted things to work. I found no info on setting up your specific configuration other than some general soquartz release info.

The dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host setting in /boot/config.txt is for use using the RPi kernel and most likely the RPi specific cm4 .dtb, bootloader and kernel files are all tied in to make things work. The soquartz uses the upstream kernel and it does not provide overlays like the RPi kernel so you do not have a dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host overlay to load.

After Thought:

I do see a rk3566-soquartz-cm4.dtb in /boot/dtbs/rockchip/ in my pi4 upstream-next (kernel 5.20 in progress) install. I do not know what kernel that was added but are you loading that in your uboot?

Hi i am using 5.19.0-rc1-0.5-MANJARO-ARM-Q64 kernel and i was passing the arguments at /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf .

These are rpi specific argument so not compatible with extlinux.conf

You need to use FDTOVERLAY something like that.
Plus you need to have the overlay dtbo in place.

Which we do not have.
I don’t think we have Cm4 carrier board support with rk356x module.

Could you paste your boot messages(dmesg) here, please? Also, which exact image was it?

Perhaps there are different versions of soquartz hardware. There is no way the image I tried(date mentioned in previous post) could boot on soquartz I have due to it using a Quartz64-B defconfig.

Hi there !
let me jump as well to battle with SOQuartz + CM4IO board :wink:

Image: Manjaro-ARM-xfce-soquartz-cm4-20220905.img
No USB but i have serial console.
dmesg output: [root@manjaro-arm ~]# dmesg[ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000 - Pastebin.com

There is additional 2.5Gb PCI-e but looks like it was proper recognized.

what was done:
creating /boot/config.txt and adding dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host - no usb after reboot

[root@manjaro-arm ~]# inxi -Fazy
System:
  Kernel: 5.19.7-1-MANJARO-ARM arch: aarch64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.1.0
    parameters: initrd=/initramfs-linux.img console=ttyS2,1500000
    earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xfe660000
    root=PARTUUID=0b9f5017-51f9-4be1-8a8f-d178c88c9f2c rw rootwait audit=0
    splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
  Console: S2 DM: LightDM v: 1.32.0 Distro: Manjaro ARM base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: ARM System: Pine64 RK3566 SoQuartz with CM4-IO Carrier Board
    details: N/A
CPU:
  Info: model: N/A variant: cortex-a55 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: ARMv8
    family: 8 model-id: 2 stepping: 0
  Topology: cpus: 1x cores: 4 smt: <unsupported> cache: N/A
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1416 min/max: 408/1800 scaling: driver: cpufreq-dt
    governor: schedutil cores: 1: 1416 2: 1416 3: 1416 4: 1416 bogomips: N/A
  Features: Use -f option to see features
  Vulnerabilities:
  Type: itlb_multihit status: Not affected
  Type: l1tf status: Not affected
  Type: mds status: Not affected
  Type: meltdown status: Not affected
  Type: mmio_stale_data status: Not affected
  Type: retbleed status: Not affected
  Type: spec_store_bypass status: Not affected
  Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
  Type: spectre_v2 status: Not affected
  Type: srbds status: Not affected
  Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected
Graphics:
  Device-1: display-subsystem driver: rockchip_drm v: N/A bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: rockchip:display-subsystem class-ID: display-subsystem
  Device-2: rk3568-mali driver: panfrost v: kernel bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: rockchip:fde60000 class-ID: gpu
  Device-3: rk3568-dw-hdmi driver: dwhdmi_rockchip v: N/A bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: rockchip:fe0a0000 class-ID: hdmi
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.4 compositor: xfwm driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev
    gpu: cdn-dp,dw-mipi-dsi-rockchip,dwhdmi-rockchip,innohdmi-rockchip,rockchip-dp,rockchip-drm,rockchip-lvds,rockchip-vop,rockchip-vop2
    tty: 80x24
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-1 model: EYOYO serial: <filter> built: 2018
    res: 2560x1440 dpi: 82 gamma: 1.2 size: 344x195mm (13.54x7.68")
    diag: 790mm (31.1") modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 800x600
Audio:
  Device-1: rk3568-dw-hdmi driver: dwhdmi_rockchip bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: rockchip:fe0a0000 class-ID: hdmi
  Device-2: simple-audio-card driver: asoc_simple_card bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: simple-audio-card:hdmi-sound class-ID: hdmi-sound
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.19.7-1-MANJARO-ARM running: yes
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.21 running: no
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.57 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: rk3568-gmac driver: rk_gmac_dwmac v: N/A port: N/A bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: rockchip:fe010000 class-ID: ethernet
  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: rk3568-uart driver: dw_apb_uart bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: rockchip:fe650000 class-ID: serial
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: up address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 29.12 GiB used: 3.29 GiB (11.3%)
  ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1 maj-min: 179:0 vendor: SanDisk model: DA4032
    size: 29.12 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B type: SSD
    serial: <filter> rev: 0x8 scheme: GPT
  SMART Message: Unknown smartctl error. Unable to generate data.
Partition:
  ID-1: / raw-size: 28.64 GiB size: 28.12 GiB (98.18%) used: 3.25 GiB (11.6%)
    fs: ext4 block-size: 4096 B dev: /dev/mmcblk1p2 maj-min: 179:2
  ID-2: /boot raw-size: 457.8 MiB size: 457.5 MiB (99.94%) used: 45.1 MiB
    (9.9%) fs: vfat block-size: 512 B dev: /dev/mmcblk1p1 maj-min: 179:1
Swap:
  Kernel: swappiness: 60 (default) cache-pressure: 80 (default 100)
  ID-1: swap-1 type: zram size: 11.27 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: 100
    dev: /dev/zram0
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 164 Uptime: 8m Memory: 7.52 GiB used: 734.5 MiB (9.5%)
  Init: systemd v: 251 default: graphical tool: systemctl Compilers: gcc: N/A
  Packages: pacman: 695 lib: 190 Shell: Bash (login) v: 5.1.16 running-in: S2
  inxi: 3.3.20
[root@manjaro-arm ~]#

fun fact: there is no ‘lsusb’ inside this image …

Regards

The soquartz does not use /boot/config.txt. Only the Raspberry Pi’s do that.

For a positive comment(!), I’ve been running Manjaro-ARM-minimal-soquartz-cm4-20220704
on a couple Soquartz boards successfully for awhile now.
I started on a Raspberry Pi baseboard, and have also used a custom baseboard I’m developing.

I wrote the images to an emmc module that I then plugged into the Soquartz.
No mods to extlinux.conf needed. The biggest hassle with the RK3566 based
boards is that you NEED a 1.5M serial adaptor to get thru the initial post-boot setup.
After that ethernet comes up and ssh works fine.

I’m only running ethernet and ssh’ing in, so other than that I’ve done limited testing.

1 Like

Another user here where the Manjaro image just boots and I’m able to SSH in with no trouble.

Wondering though - is there guidance somewhere on getting to the relevant pins on the board? Turning SPI on/off. Things like that? When I do ls /dev the spidev that I am used to seeing on Pi4s and CM4s isn’t there. I expect it might be called something else. But what?

H

Hi. i’m not sure if is the right site, but i have problems with my brand new SOQuartz 64 2Gb + 16G eMMc and BigTreeTech Rpi PAD 5"

i have flashed the iso Manjaro-ARM-sway-soquartz-cm4-20230403.img.xz on the eMMc throught the Pine 64 eMMc USB dongle (rpi-imager). after put in the CM4 and power on. the system works. but i not have Wifi (the bluetooth part works with my PS3 keyboard/Xiaomi MI silent mouse BTmode), so i do a upgrade the system with pacman (after pacman-keyring failed fixed with forum thread update-error-while-configuring-manjaro-keyring/78396/25). all OK.

but after reboot, the system not boot. no image output on HDMI, no ETH network (tested with ssh), and the three status leds (blue: power, red: power pluged and green: system boot) ON

is a knowed issue?. im not sure if i can do a serial TTY with this unit

greetings