Sometimes, KDE does not start correctly ... why?

Hi,

I am new to Manjaro (long time user of KDE Neon and Kubuntu before that)
I recently have a new laptop, and Manjaro is the only distro that runs well on it, probably because of the new hardware (AMD ryzen + combination of AMD and NVIDIA GPU)
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.75.0
Qt Version: 5.15.1
Kernel Version: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics and NVIDIA GTX 1660 TI mobile
Memory: 15,1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD RENOIR

However, sometimes (about once in a week) KDE does not start correctly.
When it goes wrong, I see following things:

• After typing my username and passwd in the ssdm greeter, the greeter comes back, to ask again for username and password.
  • The second time it accepts username and password, and launches KDE.
  • Yakuake and Firefox start, as they are in KDE autostart, but there are no windows decoration buttons on the Firefox window (max/min/close)
  • The default kde panel does not appear.

I tried to upload the output of journalctl --since “today” > journalctl.txt
but I only seem to be able to upload pictures, so here is a link to this file, so you can see what happens.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AMf0xb_cgAjM74s3q8Hhwh1qxq-LX5lu/view?usp=sharing

End of previous laptop usage at the start of the file
nov 07 00:00

laptop power on in the morning
– Reboot --> unsuccessfull
nov 07 09:55:48 ass kernel: Linux version 5.8.18-1-MANJARO

nov 07 09:56:10 ass systemd[1434]: Configuration file /home/marc/.config/autostart/org.kde.
Yakuake and Firefox start via KDE autostart
KDE panel does not start and there are no windows decoration buttons (minimise/maximise/close)
Laptop shutdown by long pressing the power button.

– Reboot --> unsuccessfull
nov 07 09:59:02 ass kernel: Linux version 5.8.18-1

Yakuake and Firefox start via KDE autostart
KDE panel does not start and there are no windows decoration buttons (minimise/maximise/close)
Laptop shutdown by login into tty2 console and command shutdown -h now

– Reboot --> successfull
– Reboot –
nov 07 10:08:38 ass kernel: Linux version 5.8.18-1-

nov 07 10:08:55 ass plasmashell[1558]: kf.package: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: “/data/Pictures/”
nov 07 10:08:55 ass plasmashell[1558]: kf.package: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: “/data/Pictures/”

What is all this metadata messages all about, can this be stopped to improve laptop startup time ?

1. Do you use Wayland? Plasma + Wayland is slightly unstable and not full ported yet.
  2. You have some similar logs – try to reinstall these programs or install one or more mentioned plugins.

I am using a standard Manjaro install, with proprietary video drivers, using X11
[marc@ass ~]$ loginctl
SESSION UID USER SEAT TTY
2 1000 marc seat0

1 sessions listed.
[marc@ass ~]$
[marc@ass ~]$ loginctl show-session 2 -p Type
Type=x11

So what should I install ?
I reinstalled sudo pamac reinstall kwin kwindowsystem, but it does not solve the problem

And why is this problem only intermittant ?

In the mean time I also noticed I cannot change the display brightness anymore.

Could this have something to do with the upgrades that were installed recently

When KDE does not start well, it also takes some time to shutdown

nov 07 21:36:21 ass systemd[1]: Stopped Simple Desktop Display Manager.
nov 07 21:36:43 ass wpa_supplicant[1219]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
nov 07 21:36:45 ass kernel: [drm] Failed to add display topology, DTM TA is not initialized.
nov 07 21:36:45 ass kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: PPM init failed (-110)
nov 07 21:37:02 ass wpa_supplicant[1219]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
nov 07 21:37:50 ass systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Stopping timed out. Killing.
nov 07 21:37:50 ass systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Killing process 1549 (kwin_x11) with signal SIGKILL.
nov 07 21:37:50 ass systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Killing process 1553 (QDBusConnection) with signal SIGKILL.
nov 07 21:37:50 ass systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Failed with result ‘timeout’.
nov 07 21:37:50 ass systemd[1]: Stopped Session 2 of user marc.
nov 07 21:37:50 ass systemd[1]: Stopping User Login Management…
nov 07 21:37:50 ass systemd[1]: Stopping User Manager for UID 1000…

Have you checked if your compositor is disabled for some reason? Try to check in Display and Monitor > Compositor if it is working or if it was temporary disabled after a crash. It often happens with proprietary drivers.

Can I check this with a cli command ?
or restart something to correct the problem ?
If the problem occurs, the only thing I can do is use ctrl-alt-F2 to log into a tty session, or shutdown the laptop by pushing the on/off button.

You can toggle it on/off with alt+shift+f12.

I am not sure how would you enable it or disable it from the cli. In the settings you can do that easily trough a fairly detailed menu.

Just search it with krunner if you can’t find it, but it should be under “Display and Monitor”

Thanks for the tip.
I tried alt-shift-F12, when the laptop starts normally, it removes or adds some visual effects (shading around a window, but when the laptop does not start correctly, nothing happens.

When the laptop starts incorrectly, yakuake and firefox start because they autostart, but I cannot launch any application, the panel is absent, window decoration buttons are missing, I cannot switch between apptlications, yakuake is hidden behind firefox, I can still move the mouse pointer and surf the web, and to shutdown, the only options are to long press the power button, or use ctrl-alt-F2 to log into a tty session and issue the command sudo shutdown -h now.

When I re-install Manjaro, everything seems to be working fine for a week or 2 and then it starts appearing.
I am starting to think that it has something to do with system updates, or installing a package, but I could be completely wrong on that.

Also the problem seems to be occuring more when I shutdown the laptop in a normal way, when I power it off by long pressing the power button, it seems to start correctly afterwards.
Also the problem is intermittant, sometimes it starts up correctly, sometimes not.