Something with GPU broke in Deepin

Edit: was corrected by cscs

no stop

remove that ignore package line.
Then

sudo pacman -Syyuu

That will sync you with the repos. It is considered a 'downgrade' due to the versioning scheme, hence the 2 'u's .. but is really an update..and what you should use.
If that doesnt work .. then you can explore downgrade.
But try to sync up first.

1 Like

Already downgradeed to 18.3.4-1 and rebooted. Problem exists. Zoom doesn't work and can't enable window effects.

Read post above.

Ok, so I should remove the ignore package line? What does that mean? Find the PKG file and edit that or?

No, I mean you answered 'yes' to that downgrade script question of 'add to ignore' .. which means you've blacklisted syncing that package.
You can remove it again by deleting mesa from that line in /etc/pacman.conf (or just put a # in the front to 'comment it out')

Then go ahead and do a full upgrade (I'll throw mirrors in too for good measure)

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyuu

You should notice a different mesa 19 package than youve so far handled.

2 Likes

I notice you like shell a lot - is the update interface not the same? In there there are basically no updates but I'll try that command.

Wait a sec, now in the update manager it says it could update to 19.0.1-2.

Oh well, I'll still try shell.

Yeah, either way.
(the funny thing is that while 'downgrading' was the wrong course of action here .. it technically would put the version below that of the repos - so then pamac would be aware and able to update you .. )

So sometimes there are newer packages out but Manjaro doesn't see it?

No .. in this very specific case a certain hotfix version [19.0.1+really+18.3.5-1] kinda borked the sequential versioning of packages. So the current update 'looked like' a downgrade. Pamac doesnt do downgrades, only up (and I dont know if it warns you about 'too new' packages either). So it would consider there 'nothing to do'.
pacman on the other hand certainly warns you. And can handle 'downgrade' syncs by passing a second 'u' - sudo pacman -Syyu becomes sudo pacman -Syyuu which is up and downgrade to sync with repos.

It is technically a deficiency of current pamac .. but also one that would only rarely come into play.

1 Like

Ok, tx. Makes sense. It really is interesting version name.

Mirrors updated and now I see even more updates than before. Will install them.

firefox-66.0.3-0  lib32-mesa-19.0.1-1  lib32-mesa-vdpau-19.0.1-1  lib32-vulkan-intel-19.0.1-1  lib32-vulkan-radeon-19.0.1-1
              libva-mesa-driver-19.0.1-2  libwbclient-4.10.2-0  mesa-19.0.1-2  mesa-vdpau-19.0.1-2  smbclient-4.10.2-0  vulkan-intel-19.0.1-2
              vulkan-radeon-19.0.1-2

Nice.
Yeah - pamac and pacman also handle mirrors separately .. so if you use pamac mostly make sure to use the 'sync' and 'refresh' or whatever mirror/ranking options it has available if you were 'missing' upgrades there besides the known funny one.

1 Like

Wohoo, I'm back in business. Effects are working and Zoom starts again. Thanks guys!

About pamac, the Manjaro UI version is using pamac?

Another question. If somebody doesn't know about this issue, when is it's fixed for them? When mesa would hit version 20?

1 Like

Great.

Im not sure I follow. Do you mean the GUI package manager is pamac ? If so, Yes.
We have pamac-gtk, pamac-qt, and octopi for graphical package managers.

Mesa 19.0.1 was released like 3 weeks ago ... so I'm guessing at least a year or more.

https://www.mesa3d.org/

Yeah, the GUI version:

But I would not hit the issue when using pacman for system update (and may be always use update mirrors too)? I know this was rare case but still.

the irony is than in other mesa post this exact command is used.My search skills have failed me this time

2 Likes

If you used
pacman -Syyu
It would do all the upgrades .. but no downgrades. It would mention though
XXX package is newer than in repos

pacman -Syyuu
Would do updgrades and downgrades .. so if used first, or after seeing the warning above .. then you would be in sync like how we got here.

For mirrors .. you can often just set/rank those once and be done.
It can be useful to run sometimes for better speed, or if a mirror goes down... but also pacman-mirrors -f will also try to only return up to date and fully synced mirrors - so you are sure to not get old or only partially synced mirrors.

Since I already have a very small mirror list (localized, https only, theres like 3) and bandwidth isnt an issue, when I want to update its pretty common I just fire off

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyuu

[you are right about me and shell .. I dont use these gui managers :wink:]

1 Like

I guess I'll also keep an eye for the funny version names :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks a lot for the fix and all the extra info! Need to write that down.

Yeah - no need to be scared off of your shiny windows. They work fine 99% of the time.

Cheers :beers:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.