Something with GPU broke in Deepin

After system update or accidental Kernel upgrade to linux-macbook, something broke with some part of graphics (or that's what it seems). Some of the windows have this 2px border around them:

When I try to enable 'Window effects' then it says it's unable. This all could have been before but what certainly isn't working anymore is Zoom video app. This is the output when I try to run it from shell:

ZoomLauncher started.
Zoom not exist at current directory - /home/hannes
Zoom path is: /opt/zoom
cmd line: 
$HOME = /home/hannes 
export SSB_HOME=/home/hannes/.zoom; export QSG_INFO=1; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/zoom; /opt/zoom/zoom "" 
zoom started.
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to open swrast (search paths /usr/lib/dri)
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
[CZPClientLogMgr::LogClientEnvironment] [MacAddr: A0:99:9B:0B:64:ED][client: Linux][OS: Manjaro Linux][Hardware: CPU Core:4 Frenquency:2 G Memory size:15915MB CPU Brand:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4870HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz GPU Brand:][Req ID: ]
Linux Client Version is 2.7.162522.0121
QSG_RENDER_LOOP is 
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP = Deepin;   GDMSESSION = deepin
Graphics Card Info:: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Venus XT [Radeon HD 8870M / R9 M270X/M370X] (rev 83)
Zoom package arch is 64bit, runing OS arch is x86_64
AppIconMgr::systemDesktopName log Desktop Name: deepin 
qt.scenegraph.general: QSG: basic render loop
qt.scenegraph.general: Using sg animation driver
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SwapBehavior(DoubleBuffer), swapInterval 1, profile  QSurfaceFormat::OpenGLContextProfile(NoProfile)) 
sh: line 1: 30933 Aborted                 (core dumped) /opt/zoom/zoom ""
success to create child process,status is 34304.
zoom exited normally.
Something went wrong while running zoom,exit code is 134.
ZoomLauncher exit.

I think I also switched back to kernel what was enabled before:

Any ideas?

related?

Indeed it's "19.0.1+really+18.3.5-1"

I could downgrade to:
"18.3.4-1"

Should I try?

Sure .Go ahead

It's asking:

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
add mesa to IgnorePkg? [y/n]

What should I answer? :slight_smile:

Edit: was corrected by cscs

no stop

remove that ignore package line.
Then

sudo pacman -Syyuu

That will sync you with the repos. It is considered a 'downgrade' due to the versioning scheme, hence the 2 'u's .. but is really an update..and what you should use.
If that doesnt work .. then you can explore downgrade.
But try to sync up first.

1 Like

Already downgradeed to 18.3.4-1 and rebooted. Problem exists. Zoom doesn't work and can't enable window effects.

Read post above.

Ok, so I should remove the ignore package line? What does that mean? Find the PKG file and edit that or?

No, I mean you answered 'yes' to that downgrade script question of 'add to ignore' .. which means you've blacklisted syncing that package.
You can remove it again by deleting mesa from that line in /etc/pacman.conf (or just put a # in the front to 'comment it out')

Then go ahead and do a full upgrade (I'll throw mirrors in too for good measure)

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyuu

You should notice a different mesa 19 package than youve so far handled.

2 Likes

I notice you like shell a lot - is the update interface not the same? In there there are basically no updates but I'll try that command.

Wait a sec, now in the update manager it says it could update to 19.0.1-2.

Oh well, I'll still try shell.

Yeah, either way.
(the funny thing is that while 'downgrading' was the wrong course of action here .. it technically would put the version below that of the repos - so then pamac would be aware and able to update you .. )

So sometimes there are newer packages out but Manjaro doesn't see it?

No .. in this very specific case a certain hotfix version [19.0.1+really+18.3.5-1] kinda borked the sequential versioning of packages. So the current update 'looked like' a downgrade. Pamac doesnt do downgrades, only up (and I dont know if it warns you about 'too new' packages either). So it would consider there 'nothing to do'.
pacman on the other hand certainly warns you. And can handle 'downgrade' syncs by passing a second 'u' - sudo pacman -Syyu becomes sudo pacman -Syyuu which is up and downgrade to sync with repos.

It is technically a deficiency of current pamac .. but also one that would only rarely come into play.

1 Like

Ok, tx. Makes sense. It really is interesting version name.

Mirrors updated and now I see even more updates than before. Will install them.

firefox-66.0.3-0  lib32-mesa-19.0.1-1  lib32-mesa-vdpau-19.0.1-1  lib32-vulkan-intel-19.0.1-1  lib32-vulkan-radeon-19.0.1-1
              libva-mesa-driver-19.0.1-2  libwbclient-4.10.2-0  mesa-19.0.1-2  mesa-vdpau-19.0.1-2  smbclient-4.10.2-0  vulkan-intel-19.0.1-2
              vulkan-radeon-19.0.1-2

Nice.
Yeah - pamac and pacman also handle mirrors separately .. so if you use pamac mostly make sure to use the 'sync' and 'refresh' or whatever mirror/ranking options it has available if you were 'missing' upgrades there besides the known funny one.

1 Like

Wohoo, I'm back in business. Effects are working and Zoom starts again. Thanks guys!

About pamac, the Manjaro UI version is using pamac?

Another question. If somebody doesn't know about this issue, when is it's fixed for them? When mesa would hit version 20?

1 Like

Great.

Im not sure I follow. Do you mean the GUI package manager is pamac ? If so, Yes.
We have pamac-gtk, pamac-qt, and octopi for graphical package managers.

Mesa 19.0.1 was released like 3 weeks ago ... so I'm guessing at least a year or more.

https://www.mesa3d.org/

Yeah, the GUI version:

But I would not hit the issue when using pacman for system update (and may be always use update mirrors too)? I know this was rare case but still.