Some questions

Hi i'm a newbie to the linux world, i want a distro that respects user privacy, i really like manjaro (KDE) but i have some doubts:

Does manjaro collect private data of the users and if yes what data?

How solid is this distro?

Can i get a virus if i download apps from the official manjaro repositories or i can download everything without worrying?

Sorry for my bad english

Welcome aboard,

As far as I can tell Manjaro does not actively collect any data. I can't speak to the unstable build, but both stable and testing are rock solid. Yes like with any OS rather linux, Windows, OSX you will run across issues, but typically in Manjaro they are relatively quickly addressed and fixed. As for getting a virus, trojan, or malware sure it's possible but EXTREMELY unlikely. As for safty of downloading through the repositories you should be pretty much safe. With the exception of 3 or 4 items all my software was downloaded through the GUI version of the software / update manager. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying now my only concern is privacy because i didn't found anything regarding privacy on manjaro.

I can't provide any documentation or claim to know for certain, but I can point to the fact that the Linux core, and most of the applications you will be using are open source. That means anything dubious is there in plain view and can't be hidden. For closed source applications this is not the case of course. This makes me feel fairly safe. Now, what web sites do is another matter altogether, and I rely on Firefox with NoScript, uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a basic overview, mentioning data control philosophy:
https://manjaro.org/features/under-your-control/
Also, the terms of use:
https://manjaro.org/terms-of-use/

Welcome. Honest opinion from another newcomer,

There will be minor annoyances along the way with updates. For a newcomer these can appear as minor crisises, if you have no idea where to begin. The audio you've strived for so long to get to function in a predictable manner can suddenly start to behave unpredictable again. The clipboard can suddenly lose functionality. And so on.

More experienced users will just make their adjustments and continue like nothing happened. Sometimes you have to wait until the next update, or the next few ones after that.

Much of that you have to accept as part of being on a rolling release. I don't know how long I'll stay with Manjaro, it could be one year, five, or forever. Many people who need a very stable production environment, or ''tire of fiddling'', go back to point releases. I see no reason to go to Arch if you want to be on a rolling release, as long as you can install Manjaro ''the Arch way'' to you hearts content, and reap the benefits of being on Manjaro.

In any case it will always have a special case in my heart, as the football team you grew up with, and where I learned a lot of basics. In 15-20 years I believe all home desktop distros will be rolling, point releases will be for corporate use.

1 Like

Personal experience at least with Manjaro is a rolling release is far more stable and thus far less frustrating. As for waiting for fixes there plenty of members here willing and able to help address them so you don't have to wait for a new update to be released.

3 Likes

Yeah, if you decide to go with a rolling release, I can't imagine any better community than the Manjaro one!

2 Likes

I've noticed that many guru-types you see around the net in interviews and such, they ''tired of fiddling'' and went from Arch and back to Ubuntu or whatever.

Maybe that's just another way of saying ''I use Arch, BTW''? You know, just to let it shine through that you've now matured and progressed? Like ''Yeah, I used to dig Death Metal when I was young''. :wink:

I also agree with @AgentX & @Porbeagle 's assessments, and that it is the most stable rolling release distro in my experience. And you do get the best of both worlds -- you get all the Arch benefits, with nothing preventing you from tinkering to your heart's content, and with solid stability, and without needing to hack everything into place.

Over the years, I usually had a "safety net" OS (either a separate Mac/Win computer, or a dual-boot setup, or running Linux in a VM) in order to make sure I can do certain things, usually work-related. But my current system is now just bare-metal Manjaro using the entire disk with no "safety net" OS, and I'm not too worried. Plus I always have Timeshift. If you have something like Timeshift setup and an emergency live/install disk set aside, then even big problems can be easily reverted and updates are never worrisome.

Edit: The accidental mesa push the other day does remind me of one more tip. Every once in awhile, there is a mistake, but generally not catastrophic -- however, the vast majority of issues can be avoided simply by waiting 24 hours after an announced update, before doing your own update. With a rolling release, you're already getting new software versions much faster than other distros, but I think people get conditioned into Veruca Salt mode, and can't resist updating immediately all the time. But simply waiting 24 hours for the dust to settle gives time for the maintainers to catch and remediate issues before you update.

2 Likes

Few things more reassuring than vets saying ''Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it soon enough and you'll be just fine''. One more reason to stop searching for unicorns, to just stay here and learn the basics of doing fine.

And there's plenty of folks here to help, @Huy8!

Well thank you to all for the answers, my only big concerns were privacy and stability but after reading all the answers that made me understand better manjaro and seeing such a lovely community i'm definetly going to install manjaro kde

2 Likes

BRAVO couldn't of said it better myself.

No.

I'm assuming you mean stable. And so far for me, it's been very stable.

If you're down loading from official repositories, it's extremely unlikely, but anything is possible. You are many times less likely to run into viruses than you would just even casually using Windows or even Mac.

The only information Manjaro "collect" is the information you give to subscribe to the different service like as the the forum, website data like as email etc.
And they don't do anything with this informations.

Manjaro (the OS) don't collect any private data.

Plasma 5.18 introduce telemetry.. but it's opt in by default.. so it's off.. and it says all data collected if you turn it on.. and give you a link to the privacy policy of KDE.

There is some data collection from Ubuntu if you use snap package (or only the snap store I'm not sure) you certainly can find this information with Google

Forum kindly sponsored by