Some apps do not use the theme i have set

I’ve downloaded the sweet dark theme, but for apps like files it remains unchanged.

I read another post that had the same issue

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/why-not-all-the-apps-are-using-the-selected-theme/136028/12

so i found that a file was linked to another theme but I cannot figure out how to remove it.

ls -al ~/.config/gtk-4.0/                                        ✔ 
total 20
drwxr-xr-x  3 kjal kjal 4096 May 27 20:53 .
drwxr-xr-x 30 kjal kjal 4096 May 27 21:46 ..
drwxr-xr-x  3 kjal kjal 4096 May 27 10:02 assets
-rw-r--r--  1 kjal kjal   75 May 27 20:53 gtk.css
lrwxrwxrwx  1 kjal kjal   56 May 27 06:17 gtk-dark.css -> /home/kjal/.themes/Orchis-Light/gtk-4.0/gtk-dark.css
-rw-r--r--  1 kjal kjal   47 May 27 20:40 settings.ini

I deleted the Orchis-light theme, if that matters

That should be a broken symlink so just delete the file. If Sweet supports Gtk 4, then create new symlinks for your chosen theme variant.

How do I create a new symlink

Assuming you installed the theme locally and it’s in it’s proper place in ~/.local/share/themes/:

ln -sf ~/.local/share/themes/Sweet/gtk-4.0/{assets,gtk.css,gtk-dark.css} ~/.config/gtk-4.0/

It didn’t work. Just went to new line in terminal

If there was no output, that means the command succeeded. :wink:

1 Like

Ah, it still hasn’t changed though.

ls -al ~/.config/gtk-4.0/                                  ✔ 
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  2 kjal kjal 4096 May 28 00:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 31 kjal kjal 4096 May 27 23:49 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 kjal kjal   60 May 28 00:33 assets -> /home/kjal/.local/share/themes/Sweet-Dark/gtk-4.0/assets
lrwxrwxrwx  1 kjal kjal   61 May 28 00:33 gtk.css -> /home/kjal/.local/share/themes/Sweet-Dark/gtk-4.0/gtk.css
lrwxrwxrwx  1 kjal kjal   66 May 28 00:33 gtk-dark.css -> /home/kjal/.local/share/themes/Sweet-Dark/gtk-4.0/gtk-dark.css
-rw-r--r--  1  kjal kjal   47 May 28 00:32 settings.ini

What hasn’t changed? Have you verified the symlinks were created? Have you logged out / logged in for the changes to apply?

yes, the theme still doesnt work on a few apps. The lrwxrwxrwx lines are marked red

Which apps?

files,settings etc

Those applications are all Libadwaita applications. The symlinks should have taken care of it. They do for Vince’s themes like Orchis. I’ve never used Sweet, but did look at the source files and it should work in the same manner.

I suggest creating an upstream issue and specify how and where you installed the theme as well as what you tried.

Ah i see.

I had installed it from gnome-look as a tar.xz file. Also the symlinks in the terminal are red font-colored, (after running ls -al ~/.config/gtk-4.0/ ).

I’m not sure what it means.

This is the .config/gtk-4.0 file https://imgur.com/a/tveYBe5

Please copy and paste terminal output using proper formatting instead of using screenshots–especially since Imgur is down:

{"data":{"error":"Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."},"success":false,"status":403}

Oh, that is a picture of files inside .config/gtk-4.0.

Yes, it has. See the new Sweet-Dark symlinks?

I meant that the theme is still different from the rest for those applications.

The symlinks have red font and are highlighted. I’m not sure what it means.