Some applications take more than half a minute to open

The applications i’m trying to fix are vivaldi-stable (chromium browser), google chrome and spotify. I just deleted the spotify one and it regenerated but it’s still not working. With vivaldi i cleared all the caches.
One thing i noticed: i NEVER use google chrome, yet it still has the same problem as vivaldi. Whereas i use firefox-dev extensively and it opens instantly.
I chowned the entire .config. Everything else seems to have the correct user… At the moment i’m trying to remove specific configs one by one until the problem is fixed so i can isolate which config file is the culprit

vivaldi, chrome and spotify.

The common denominator here is network - more specifically internet.

If such apps is slow to start - it could be a pointer towards network problems - more specifically DNS - and in such case you are looking in the wrong direction.

DNS issues may be caused by VPN closed without proper reset of resolv.conf or other non default configurations deviating from the ISP provided nameservices.

Of course I may be entirely wrong - just a thought.

1 Like

I did it… I finally did it. It was this line in my profile file… I don’t even remember putting it there, but it’s been there for a long time… Maybe it messed with some updates, i don’t know. For context: i don’t use a DM…

-export DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome

Thank you all very much for your help and i apologize for my ignorance.

:grin:

Your issue is the very definition of an xyproblem

Sorry, I don’t understand, did i do something wrong? My profile file is very very old, and the problem appeared out of nowhere just a month ago or so… I didn’t know how else to ask… (i just read https://xyproblem.info/)… Should have i included the fact i’m not using a DM before?

I don’t know - only you will know that - what I meant to say is that you sometimes - unknowingly - creates an issue when try to solve another - like setting the session type in the hope it will solve a current issue - then forgetting about it - then suddenly you have a new issue which you don’t connect to your previous ‘fix’ and therefore you try to fix the issue without knowing it is caused by some previous action.

1 Like

Oh, i see… Thank you… Yeah my bad (i still don’t remember when or why i did i put it there)… I wish there was a way to debug applications in a more efficient way rather than trial and error / moving stuff… People told me to use strace but i never understood how to actually use it. And even now i have no idea if there was anything in strace that could’ve led me to the same solution…

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.