Some app is preventing me to change the display resolution on a VMWare guest

After some bumps by my part, now it is working.
Without your help I could not do it, or would take forever.
Thank you very much.

The only small problem is that the resolution has to be setup again after every boot.

I was able to fix that enabling vmtoolsd service:

sudo systemctl enable --now vmtoolsd

And editing VM settings to have at least 4 cores and “stretch mode” disabled in video settings.

1 Like

You were right. Working fine now. thank you very much.

Guide to Install Manjaro on a VM Machine (Virtualization) and Fixing Video Problems

Here are all the necessary steps to get screen resolution change and autoresizing to work fine with a Manjaro KDE 21.0.7 as VM guest on VMware software. Beforehand I want to thank all people that sent their tips, a big thanks to user cfinnberg for his patience with me and his tips, which were decisive to the solution of this problem.

This guide is based on my system, but I think it will work much the same for you if you have a similar platform. I’m using a MacBook Pro TB 2016 Core i7 with Mac OS Big Sure version 11.4, VMware Fusion Pro 12.1.2 and manjaro-kde-21.0.7-210614-linux510. This procedure have also been tested in a VMWare Workstation Pro 16 with Windows 10 platform as host.

Step 1
Create a VM for Manjaro. You can choose whatever settings you want, but for autoresizing to work, it was found necessary to have:

• At least 4 cores in Processors (at least this was the case for VMWare Workstation Pro)
  • “Stretch mode” disabled VM’s Display settings (at least this was the case for VMWare Workstation Pro)

Anyway, recommended settings are:

• Guest Operating System: Linux and version: Other Linux 5.x and later kernel 64-bit (I recommend Ubuntu 64-bit)
  • RAM: At least 2 GiB.
  • Hard disk: At least 20 GiB (select Store virtual disk as a single file if possible)
  • Network: Internet connection is needed to download updates. Could be NAT with DHCP or bridged.
  • UEFI Bios is recommended but legacy BIOS should work also fine.

Remember also to mount the Manjaro installation media/ISO file in the VM’s CD/DVD drive. For example: manjaro-kde-21.0.7-210614-linux510.iso

For VMware Fusion Pro 12.1.2 you should also disable Side Channel Mitigations. If you experience odd behavior on starting your VM you can disable the Disable Side Channel Mitigations but you will see a message about mitigation when you start your VM, just click on Don’t Show This Message to prevent it from showing again.

When all settings are in place, press the Play button. Now your VM machine should be up and running in a small window. Depending on your host computer screen resolution, the VM machine will have a very small window. Just keep on going because this will change later.

Step 2
It is time to install Manjaro in your VM. What you see on screen is the boot setup. Here you can select your time zone, keytable and language as you need. Select Boot with Open Source drivers and press the Return or Enter key to continue the booting sequence.

Step 3
Once Manjaro live USB version is booted from the image.iso you downloaded, you need to install Manjaro on your VM. On the Manjaro Hello window there are many interesting options, but for now just hit Launch Installer button. With the Installer app running, continue installation selecting settings according to your needs. When it shows the Select Storage Device, select Erase Disk. New options will show up. I selected a Swap (No Hibernate) option and hit Next. Now it is time to create your account, do as you like and press Next. Everything is setup, just hit Install and Install Now to confirm.
After it finishes it, select Restart and Done.

Step 4
When your Manjaro system is fully started, close the Manjaro Hello window and open konsole from the start menu (it maybe necessary to redimension the Konsole window). Run the command:
pamac update
to update the system. Provide your user password when requested and when asked to proceed, type y (or the letter on your language for Yes if applicable) and press enter. Reboot your system when update is finished.

Step 5
After restart, close all windows and open Konsole again. Execute the command:
pamac install open-vm-tools
and hit enter. On the first question answer 1 (gtkmm3 package usually is needed for copy-paste to work between host and guest). Provide your user password when requested and when asked to proceed, type y (or the letter on your language for Yes if applicable) and press enter.

After that, type and run:
sudo systemctl enable --now vmtoolsd
You will need to provide your user password. Notice that in console there is no output when you type it. This is normal.

This should be enough in VMWare Workstation Pro to enable the autoresizing feature of the guest VM. You can resize the window or go to full screen and Manjaro’s resolution will adjust automatically.

If for some reason the resolution does not adjust automatically, you can change it manually with the command vmwgfxctrl. Run in the Konsole:
vmwgfxctrl --print-topology
to see what resolutions the machine supports. Select one that you like/want (for example 1680x1050) and run:
sudo vmwgfxctrl --set-topology 1680x1050+0+0
Of course, change the resolution with the one you want to use. Your screen resolution should change to what you’ve choosen.

Enjoy your Manjaro!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.