[SOLVED] Xfce session freezes after login

This seems to be pretty common on the web, but I did not found a solution.
Last week I did a clean install, theming and plymouth removing, as always.
Then I did not restart for some days, till 4.8 release.

This happens after lightdm login: background goes grey and panel empty with themed mouse, for about 10" (before it took almost 2").
Sometimes bg stays on login screen image, panel partially loads and mouse does not get its theme.
After this slow login, it runs smoothly.

Here are logs:
.xsession-errors http://pastebin.com/aFPiJaBG
.xfce4-session.verbose-log http://pastebin.com/bxFF1VNF
I’m not good at reading them, can’t see problems.

Has anyone else ever experienced grey screen freeze between lightdm login and xfce session?

[quote=“lennart, post:1, topic:9776”]
Then I did not restart for some days, till 4.8 release.
[/quote]XFCE is at 4.12 so that makes no sense.
The output of
inxi -Fxz
wrapped in a code block(or by using ‘preformatted text’ button in forum edit box menu) is needed for anyone to assist you. …or post all system specs by hand.

Read the “Stable Update 9-20-2016 …” troubleshoots.
The Vertex-Maia theme is prbly required for the XFCE desktop to look correct but the 88 button (at top right) for Search has this kind of issue in many posts.

HTH…

I mean kernel 4.8, brought by 2016-09-20 manjaro stable update.

Here it is:

[lennart@aspire ~]$ inxi -Fxzc0
System:    Host: aspire Kernel: 4.8.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.2.1)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 5732Z v: V3.10
           Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 5732Z v: V3.10 BIOS: Acer v: V3.10 date: 11/04/2010
Battery    BAT0: charge: 38.5 Wh 95.0% condition: 40.5/44.0 Wh (92%) model: SONY AS09A41 status: Discharging
CPU:       Dual core Pentium T4400 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 8780 
           clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV710/M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4530/4570/545v]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: radeon Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710 (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.0-1-MANJARO, LLVM 3.8.1)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-1-MANJARO
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet
           driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 05:00.0
           IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 570.1GB (3.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD3200BEVT size: 320.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 59G used: 15G (27%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.26GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 148 Uptime: 10:51 Memory: 1033.6/5970.4MB Init: systemd Gcc sys: 6.2.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.3.1

It appens with default Vertex Maia theme too. Various old threads have been spent on the same issue, but none of theese provided a final solution working for me.
Some were solved by removing autostart of nm-applet and xfce4-volumed.
Some cleaning .cache, .config and .gnome* from home (really annoying remove all configs so I didn’t).
Some just reinstalled OS (would avoid this).
Many were left unsolved.

[quote=“lennart, post:3, topic:9776”]
kernel 4.8
[/quote]Linus et al have not released it; it is actually 4.8-rc7. It is not stable, yet. philm is working on it.

I have no idea if that is the issue, or part of it however reverting to 4.4 or 4.7 is advisable. I see nothing that requires the latest, unstable, kernel so unless there is specific driver required run with 4.7 or 4.4(4.4 prbly best since that is still the Manjaro default kernel).
…or you could run the Unstable or Testing branch and help get next update ready by reporting issues.

Sorry that using Vertex-Maia did not fix all rendering issues.
Now that inxi info is up, better chance for better eyes than mine to assist, ;). …esp. someone who runs XFCE daily(I do not).

GL2U and …

Have Fun!

Tried 4.8. Uninstalled 4.8. Play the waiting game…

@neognomic Same on 4.7 and 4.4.

Solved.
Appearance > Settings tab > Sounds section: must be disabled.

Certainly I enabled it while customizing…and forgot it! :sweat_smile:
I think since no sound set for system events is provided with manjaro xfce, system was waiting/trying to play something which does not exist and no existence-check is provided inside xfce.

@philm maybe a minor bug you may want to know

[quote=“lennart, post:6, topic:9776”]
Same on 4.7 and 4.4.
[/quote]Not unexpected but was hopeful.
The thing is that when requesting assistance the Manjaro(or any disto FTM) will see unsupported or unstable an either say can’t help because of … or just pass it by and go to the next one that is running supported SW.
That’s not to say they will not help; really good people from what I have seen but there’s only so much time they can devote so the “supported” and “stable” come first. If there is time remaining, then the rest.
However, that said, if you are running the Unstable or Testing branch and reporting in that thread, then your voice is the loudest, so to speak.

[quote=“lennart, post:7, topic:9776”]
Solved.
Appearance > Settings tab > Sounds section: must be disabled.
[/quote]Great!
… but wow, that’s weird(should not happen …).

Have Fun!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.