Briar and Speek! decentralized communicators for Manjaro ARM?

Hi!

currently is a very popular messenger the Telegram.
I wonder if anyone is interested in more “private”, new type of messengers like Briar or Speek ?

briarproject org
briarproject org/download-briar-desktop
speek network
github com/Speek-App/Speek

The Briar is an older one, more complex and its development is slower than by the Speek! (especially with the desktop version).

It would be nice to have these software in ARM distributions, especially with mobile PinePhones. :slight_smile:
I have tested both in latest Ubuntu/Linux MInt (XFCE) x86-64 distributions and desktop versions are stable and daily usable.

For Speek, I didn’t find anything on AUR but there is a PKGBUILD that you can modify (add aarch64 among others) to test if you want.

For Briar, there is an AUR package : AUR (en) - briar-desktop-git
Give it a try and give us a feedback.

Hi there,

I’m the project maintainer for The Herald Project, part of Linux Foundation Public Health. We’re working on a similar decentralised encrypted packet based system for emergency communication at the moment. This is based on the work we did for COVID-19, but applied to a fully decentralised, Bluetooth Low Energy based, asynchronous, packet transmission system supporting phones back to around 2011.

This is being shelled out for Android (Java) at the moment. It’ll be backported to our C++ (Linux, Zephyr) and Swift (iOS) API once complete. If you’re interested in helping out or testing please hit me up on the LFPH Slack in the #herald channel, or via email at adam@adamfowler.org.

We don’t have a Bluez subsystem implementation on Linux yet, but a few people have talked about it. I have a PinePhone, PinePhone Pro, SOQuartz CM4 module, and use Manjaro as my dev machine so I’m pretty motivated to get this working if such a thing is of interest to people.

Project website: https://heraldprox.io/
Current feature status: Implement draft secured payload · Issue #82 · theheraldproject/herald-for-android · GitHub
LFPH Slack: https://lfpublichealth.slack.com

1 Like