[solved] system won't start after reboot

i've been running manjaro i3 for a few months, without any issues. however, as i rebooted my system a few days ago it no longer started. i need help in trying to find out where the problem lies.

"started TLP system startup/shutdown" is the last line on the startup screen. after this the boot sequence halts.

[f]

Read this.

3 Likes

thanks a lot. will do.

tried following the above-mentioned guide. however, without luck.

sudo pacman-mirrors -f3
sudo pacman -Syyu

result: no new packages were found. nothing was updated.

startx

result: (EE) no screens found(EE)

Xorg.0.log:

xorg.conf:

it is stated that the xorg.conf has got problems. however, i have for sure not altered anything in that file so unsure why that should suddenly be wrong. or, is this xorg.conf problem simply only due to me being on manjaroi3?

by the way, tried running i3, which returned i3: cannot open display. as well as i tried xinit /bin/i3which returned (EE) no screens found(EE).

i see that more than i have had the same problem. the solution for @chrisf was to do a fresh install. i hope that is not the only way of solving this.

is it common having to do fresh installs of manjaro fixing boot issues?

Then someone else did :man_shrugging: you have to find who did (what have you ran lately, before this happens?).
This file should not exist in a normal Manjaro system. mhwd uses /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. You should check what you have there.

A best guess for temporary solution would be to delete that file and reboot.
If it still hangs when Xorg has to run, then delete also Xorg related files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and maybe reinstall your video drivers with mhwd.

4 Likes

@petsam, i love you man. deleting xorg.conf.d did the trick. after a reboot all is good again. i have no idea what on my system has created this file though. that is a tad worrying. anyhow, i am super happy that i did not have to do a fresh install.

thanks a lot!

1 Like

Maybe it's time to start making backups, then you won't need to worry about reinstalls. :wink:

2 Likes

i'm backing up. however, i haven't created install scrips so setting up the system the way i like would take a lot of time.