[SOLVED] Successful Manjaro install - but still only boots to Windows

It’s a Lenovo X1 Carbon. I burned a USB and F12 booted into Manjaro and chose ‘install alongside’; everything went OK (apart from not being able to connect to WiFi) and ticked ‘reboot to new installation’.

Problem is that it still just boots to Windows as if nothing has happened.

The boot on this machine is unusual to me in that I have to press Enter to get to the options like the F12 choose what to boot. But if I remove the USB stick and do that, there is no option to boot Manjaro.

Are both EFI or both BIOS ? they cannot be different.
Where did you install grub ?

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, I have no idea about EFI or BIOS, not even really sure what EFI is although I have heard the word, how do I tell? It’s a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Type 20BT if that helps: https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/pd100511. If I look at the disk using Windows Disk Management it shows a 99MB “EFI System Partition” (see screenshot below, I also added one from MiniTool - the Ext4 232.2MB partition must be where Manjaro installed itself).

I just let the Manjaro installer do its work so grub will be wherever it would normally put it.

Boot to manjaro (your way, with usb) and at terminal, provide…(print)

efibootmgr -v
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
findmnt -s
findmnt /boot/efi

parted l --> small ‘L’ and provide all disks, all output.
if error message, print out error message
if no message, print ‘no output’
carry on all commands, do not stop on no output or on error message.

1 Like

Thanks, here’s the output:

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ efibootmgr -v
EFI variables are not supported on this system.

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA CT500MX500SSD4 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 524MB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 524MB 628MB 104MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
3 628MB 645MB 16.8MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 645MB 250GB 249GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
6 250GB 499GB 249GB ext4
5 499GB 500GB 851MB ntfs hidden, diag

Model: SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 15.4GB
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
2 2017MB 2021MB 4194kB primary esp

Model: Generic Flash Disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 1007MB
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 520kB 1007MB 1006MB primary fat16

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop1: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop2: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/loop3: TYPE=“squashfs”
/dev/sda1: LABEL=“Recovery” UUID=“24E8E359E8E3282E” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTLABEL=“Basic data partition” PARTUUID=“ee6664f5-3290-4d93-bd5d-a6481918abdb”
/dev/sda2: UUID=“A8E3-DB8E” TYPE=“vfat” PARTLABEL=“EFI system partition” PARTUUID=“57e43122-a445-4cd2-ae3c-0dcf5ae1d774”
/dev/sda4: UUID=“967CE9FA7CE9D551” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTLABEL=“Basic data partition” PARTUUID=“9875493a-cf5a-4102-9d05-f986c2c2a9b6”
/dev/sda5: UUID=“7844C4C944C48AF8” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTUUID=“dae45332-490c-4491-83fc-fbabb944c70c”
/dev/sda6: UUID=“bf89162b-b5f4-47e9-aee4-d1242cccee51” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“1e6ece10-8109-4a86-b3ec-b16cf9f58c6b”
/dev/sdb1: UUID=“2019-01-03-17-59-41-00” LABEL=“MJRO1802” TYPE=“iso9660”
/dev/sdb2: SEC_TYPE=“msdos” LABEL_FATBOOT=“MISO_EFI” LABEL=“MISO_EFI” UUID=“461C-E0D2” TYPE=“vfat”
/dev/sda3: PARTLABEL=“Microsoft reserved partition” PARTUUID=“4444bcc7-576d-4117-a96c-9234fed33f97”
/dev/sdc1: SEC_TYPE=“msdos” UUID=“C48D-C6BA” TYPE=“vfat” PARTUUID=“e37204c8-01”

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ findmnt -s
TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS
/ /dev/mapper/root-image auto defaults

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ findmnt /boot/efi
{no output}

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$

No, that’s from the Manjaro livecd OS. We need the output from the manjaro installed OS.
I thought you said you can boot to the Manjaro installed OS (at sda6). But it looks you cannot.
Never mind, then boot to the installed Manjaro OS at sda6 using this first post here. Try [Simple First Start]. If you cannot, then use the [More Complicated Setups].
Start the install media in uefi mode. You used bios-legacy to boot your liveOS.

Then provide the said data. This time just ‘efibootmgr -v’, findmnt -s and findmnt /boot/efi

ps: I think, without your data, that you’ve booted and installed your Manjaro in bios-legacy.
If that is the case, you need to do several things to get it fixed. If you’re willing that’s fine, we’ll walk it over. But you may want to reconsider reinstalling in uefi, may be easier.

2 Likes

Given this is a fresh installation, a reinstall is the far more efficient solution.

A tip for reinstalling (if you chose to).
o Reminder - Start your install media in uefi mode and install in that mode.
o Chose sda2 as $esp, mounted as /boot/efi. Do not format sda2.
o Of course choose sda6 as your root (/). But this time without formatting it. This reinstallation will be much faster. You can format it, just that the reinstallation will be the normal installing speed.

ps: you do not have enough space for a new $esp without resizing existing partitions. If you make a new partition for new $esp, you will need to format sda6 again for your reinstallation. Up to you.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. Correct, I can’t boot the installed Manjaro, only the LiveCD on USB.

A reinstall is no problem, what do I need to do differently - I just booted the USB and went through the install setup, but I didn’t see an option to do a uefi install.

I see your new response; how do I start the install media in uefi mode? The image below shows the boot menu options, no mention of uefi.

The “Chose sda2 as $esp, mounted as /boot/efi. Do not format sda2.” is over my head sorry.

Plug in usb then start computer, go to bios setup.
See there is any where to disable secure boot and to enable uefi boot only. Then check at your screen above and see if there is any entry for UEFI: USB - SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0.

Check your lenovo websites if you still have problems.
Search for ‘USB uefi boot’

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t answer that.
That is during installation of Manjaro where we are to choose partitions.
We select / (root) and in your case that is sda6.
In uefi installlations, we will also need to choose a $esp partition.
that would be sda2 in your case and we will need to mount it as /boot/efi.
On top of that, installer will ask us if we want to format that partition and a check box is available for that. Do not format this $esp as it contains the windows bootloader. If we format that, we will lose the windows bootloader.

Hope that explains.

Hi, thanks for your help. I managed to achieve the result a different way.

I went back to Rufus and reburned the USB, but this time I chose the GPT and UEFI options rather than MBR and BIOS that seem to be the defaults. I guess that last time I just accepted the defaults (because I didn’t know any better!). I then rebooted the X1 and went into the BIOS and set startup to be UEFI only, then booted from the USB. This time the Manjaro installation mentioned UEFI and everything went perfectly and now I can boot into Windows or the installed Manjaro.

The only problem I have now is that Manjaro doesn’t “see” any WiFi signal and doesn’t show any WiFi connections so I can’t connect to the internet. This is even though a message appears “WiFi connections available, use network manager to connect”. But when I open the network manager it doesn’t show any WiFi connections. Any ideas about that? Perhaps I should start a new thread.

Yes, please, but just try rebooting (twice maybe?). The linux network connection is kinda flakky for some time now. Somebody needs to look into this.

Oh, good to hear about your success and welcome to Manjaro. Cheers.

Getting WiFi working was easier than I thought it might be - turns out that the firewall was turned off. When I turned it on all the WiFi networks appeared as if by magic. So I am now using Manjaro and WiFi to write this reply.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.