[SOLVED] Recently installed questionable login screen theme, it broke and now I can't login (KDE)

When I boot up, I get something like "the current theme cannot be loaded, see the error message below" and what looks like a backup login screen with my user; I'm able to put in my password but enter doesn't log me in and there is not a button. After much research, I have not come upon a solution. I understand I can enter the terminal as root and from there I'm able to make changes to the system, but I don't know the commands for changing the theme. If I could bypass the login screen then I could change the theme, but I don't know how or if you can. I'm lost and google seems to be failing me in this scenario.

Boot and get to the "questionable" login screen then hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 or F2.
Login at the VT, then type startx

You should be at desktop. Fix it.

No more questionable grub themes young man!

1 Like

Just tried doing this. I got > warning: Unsupported high keycode 372 for name <1372> ignored > x11 cannot support keycodes above 255 > This warning only shows for the first high keycode. >Internal error: Could not resolve keysym XF86MonBrightnessCycle waiting for X server to shutdown......

Did you use Grub-customizer to install this theme?

1 Like

I installed it through a GUI tool, it was through something like "get new themes" for the lock screen.

From where? What was the name of the "GUI Tool"?

It was in the login screen menu literally in system settings.

In KDE? Ok.
Looks like you're going to need to make a live boot USB and chroot in. That's the only thing I can think of unless one of the gurus around here have another idea ( cough @tbg cough ).

Boot the live usb and when you get in type manjaro-chroot -a
Then you'll want to edit (very carefully) the grub file to remove that theme.

But before you do any editing give me a few. I got to figure out how to do this and not screw things up more. :wink:
Not inspiring confidence am I? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I really appreciate your help!

I am not sure this requires chrooting.

Did you try stopping sddm before running startx?

Yep, just realized that.

~Was going to ask him to get back to terminal and post his grub output.~
~cat /etc/default/grub~

Maybe I am confused here but if he can get to a TTY and has a problem with the sddm theme, grub should be fine? Am I missing something, sometimes I read too fast?

No, I'm an idiot. I have to much multitasking happening right now. I was helping someone with grub and merged the two in my brain. GAH!

If it helps, here is a copy of /etc/sddm.conf from a stock KDE VM from a few months ago:

/etc/sddm.conf
[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=plasma

[General]
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl poweroff
InputMethod=
Numlock=none
RebootCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl reboot

[Theme]
Current=breath
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
DisableAvatarsThreshold=7
EnableAvatars=true
FacesDir=/usr/share/sddm/faces
ThemeDir=/usr/share/sddm/themes

[Users]
DefaultPath=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin
HideShells=
HideUsers=
MaximumUid=60000
MinimumUid=1000
RememberLastSession=true
RememberLastUser=true
ReuseSession=false

[Wayland]
EnableHiDPI=false
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/wayland-session
SessionDir=/usr/share/wayland-sessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/wayland-session.log

[X11]
DisplayCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
DisplayStopCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xstop
EnableHiDPI=false
MinimumVT=1
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsession
SessionDir=/usr/share/xsessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
UserAuthFile=.Xauthority
XauthPath=/usr/bin/xauth
XephyrPath=/usr/bin/Xephyr
2 Likes

Thank you @dalto. I was doing to many things. Need to chill out. Ommmmm

2 Likes

How do I stop sddm?

From a TTY

sudo systemctl stop sddm

You will probably end up at a blinking cursor and will need to switch back to the TTY before running startx

1 Like

I did that and typed in startx again and am getting the error, “could not resolve keysym XF86MonBrightnessCycle> internal error: Could not resolve keysym XF86RotationLockToggleErrors from xkbcomp are no...
I get this error if I use startx instead of sudo startx with or without disabling sddm

Linux gods please help :frowning:

There are no linux gods :slight_smile:
Once you are in TTY, logged in as your user, use:
startkde
see if the same issue as when using startx comes up, and by the way, please don't use sudo witn any of those commands!!!

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark