[SOLVED] Octopi: command finished with errors!

Hi,

Trying to sync databases with Octopi, I get the “command finished with errors!”
No problem doing the same with Pamac.
I’ll gladly receive your help and instructions to fix this.

Thanks in advance!
Marte

Open octopi, run the sync from within the octopi client and paste the contents of the output tab here.

Then we can see what is failing.

When you paste the output, surround it in code/preformatted text tags so it is easier to read.

Hi dalto,

Here is the only message I get from the output tab:

Synchronizing databases...

Command finished with errors!

Well…that isn’t helpful.

Can you run sudo pacman -Syyu from a terminal? Lets see if we get any errors when we do it manually.

That seems to work:

$  sudo pacman -Syyu 

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     149,7 KiB   196K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1843,8 KiB   394K/s 00:05 [######################] 100%
 community                  5,1 MiB  1464K/s 00:04 [######################] 100%
 multilib                 184,4 KiB  1676K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

your profile say you’re on xfce… is it correct?
does it ask you root password when you sync from octopi?
it should.
if you are on xfce I guess you don’t have any su tool like as kdesu or gksu installed…

Right. That’s a good point! It doesn’t ask me for my root password. How should I work around this?

as octopi depends on a su tool and as gksu has been deprecated.
I would not recomand it for xfce. as you will need to install kdesu with all it’s dependencies. (lots of kde dependencies)

why not using pamac?

1 Like

You are right. I could always use pamac. It just seemed that octopi provides more info/features somehow. Tried to run it in a terminal with sudo octopi but I got
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
and this little window:
Screenshot_2019-01-11_02-05-33

:disappointed:

pamac is a great package manager, i use it more like a search tool lately and just install via pacman cli. i even use pamac on kde. never could get used to octopi

FYI
You can install using pamac with pamac install package
Just in case you didn’t know. If you did…ignore. :laughing:

1 Like

i know, it works good too. i think i like typing the word “pacman” too much to give it up just yet :grinning:

1 Like

I get them confused & then wonder why it won’t work. :rofl: Got to get use to using one only.

1 Like

yes.
octopi can’t be launched with sudo. it will use internally gksu, kdesu or lxqt-sudo.

• gksu: deprecated
  • kdesu: lot of dependencies
  • lxqt-sudo: same as kdesu about dependencies
1 Like

Thanks for your reply! I will look into pacman cli.

Thanks scachemaille!
So, the conclusion would be that since gksu is deprecated, Octopi won’t be working in Xfce but it will on KDE and lxqt?

It can but you would have to use kdesu, which would involve the installation of a lot of KDE dependencies, which for many is considered “unnecessary bloat”.

It should work though.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! I guess I will give up on it then trying to keep my system as less “complicated” as possible.

Just for curiosity, will installing packages requiring KDE dependencies on Xfce lead to instability of the system or even breakage in the long run? Excuse my ignorance. All this is quite new to me still.

No.

If you run any KDE apps in your XFCE system most of the dependencies will probably be already installed anyway.

Thanks a lot! That’s good to know.
Just one more question: how can I check what are the dependencies to be installed before installing a package relying on them cli/gui way? Just some pointers and I’ll be doing my homework.