Solved - No Grub menu after win10 update

I have a Lenovo ideapad 500s with dual boot of Manjaro and Win10
In connection with a Win10 update a new bios was installed.
Now I don’t get any grub menu at startup, it boots directly to Win10.
Bios is set to boot by EFI and secure boot disabled.
I can boot to Manjaro by using “Super Grub2 Disk 2.02s9”
In the boot menu I use to boot “Super Grub2 USB” the first boot option is

1. Windows Boot Manager
    So the bios thinks that it is a Windows Boot manager, not Grub, I can’t remember i have seen that before.

After boot to Manjaro using “Super Grub USB” I tried to reinstall grub.

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file …
Found background: /usr/share/grub/background.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64-fallback.img
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Found Mac OS X on /dev/sdb3
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

But still no grub menu, boots direct to win10

I also tried
sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub
same result

Any suggestions to get Grub menu back?

Sorry if I come across as snarky, but do you have both Windows 10 and Linux on the same drive? From what I read about dual booting, it seems best to have each OS on its separate drive with along with the OS’s boot loader on the same drive as the OS.

Or at least that is the way I had it the last time I had Windows installed. Again Sorry if you don’t this helpful.

It’s not OP fault. @Centauri should be allowed to put any OS on any disk. It is Windows arrogants that trashes grub when windows updates, to make Linux look bad. It is intentional, criminal and immoral.

3 Likes

I agree. But Windows has never been known to play well with others. the clocks changing every time I boot into Windows or Linux used to give me all kinds of grief.

Yea the clock that was fun! and about 3 years ago since I ran windows. There are resourceful Linux options however. It is just the constant adaptation to mindless microsoft struggling to support an inferior system grows tiring . It’s why I don’t do ms.

1 Like

I haven’t used Windows since late 2014 and forgotten the workarounds needed to fix the time issue. I dread the day I would have to use Windows for anything.

1 Like

here is a discussion: Utc time for windows running a dual boot
refresher if you will.

How common is dual booting these days? I know many Linux users now just run Linux by itself, and if they use Windows at all it is on another machine.

Dual booting causes nothing but problems. Just search the help threads, tons of support requests because of it. Unfortunately, it is still pretty common.

Have you disable Fastboot in Windows 10?

Maybe more common now than ever, if reading these boards is any indication. Or it might just be the large influx of Manjaro newcomers? I dunno. I run Linux.

But I do know that it used to be much easier pre-EFI or even for a while after it was implemented. Again, I dunno.

The excuse used to be games & Photoshop (not that any Linux user ever paid for Photoshop), and those still seem to be resident issues.

I suspect there are a few more straight-Linux users–a small percentage–but a lot of Windows 10 users, and it appears that Windows 10 doesn’t play very well with Linux GRUB.

regards

Well I’ve been building my computers since 2000 and I really don’t have much experience with OEM pre-builts other then a few pre-UEFI Dells I set up with Linux for a friend and my Thinkpad T430.

The more I hear about issues with installing Linux on modern UEFI pre-builts the more I’m incline to build my own. Or in the case of notebooks, buy one from the likes of System76.

How didi you get Grub to boot before the Win10 update? Did you replace or override any Win10 files in Efi directory?

@Centauri, (the OP here, BTW, in case we forgot)
Do you still need help here?
Take a look at the first post.

ps: its okay where your windows, manjaro, $esp are. Same drive, different drives. No drive :wink:. Doesn’t matter. Matters only to people who don’t know.

2 Likes

Yep, that solved the problem. Many thanks to all for the comments.
It is a work labtop which needs Windows to be able to run most of the software I use to program PLC
Some of it can run in a virtual machine but not all, it is a problem that hardware manufactures insist on using Microsoft.
It worked until Lenovo insisted on updating the bios, this apparently locked to Microsoft. Wonder how much $ Lenovo got for it

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, yes fastboot is disabled.
Another thing M$ do to annoy Linux

They won’t get any $ from me. No Lenovo (or Motorola) handphones either.
The worse thing than bullies or hegemons is their lackeys and vassal states.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark