[SOLVED] Newbie: is installing Manjaro without bootloader in dualboot safe?

Hi,
I am new to Manjaro - just installed manjaro-xfce-17.1.10-stable-x86_64.iso without bootloader; this works till now because I am on multiple boot and Debian 9 stretch is my main system. I avoided the Manjaro bootloader because I had a bad experience when I first installed Majaro with the loader. Manjaro worked fine as a main system, but not when I returned to Debian as my main system. There seem to be ways to amend this, e.g.,
http://www.preprogrammer.com/solve-manjaro-linuxarch-linux-kernel-panic-problem/
but they seem to risky for me as Manjaro newbie and not beeing too great an expert in Linux.
My non-loader installation works fine so far*, so did the updates.

Is it ok to leave Manjaro without bootloader and always choose Manjaro from Debian’s grub loader menu?

Thanks,
manjacub

*: after the first update, there was warning, though about some grub issue, but after finishing the message was “your system is ok”

It is possible to boot Manjaro with other distro’s Grub2. You only need to be careful how the last line of the Grub2 code looks like on Manjaro. It contains /boot/intel_ucode.img
Do you have an Intel machine?

Thank you!
This is what I got from Belarc Advisor:

Processor
Processor a 2,20 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2328M
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total) 

Controllers
Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller 

Display 
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 [Display adapter]
NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M [Display adapter]
PnP-Monitor (Standard) (15,7"vis, August 2010) 
```
But I do not understand whether I can keep my Manjaro system as it is (see my first posting) or what I should do now?

I recommend you respond to @eugen-b’s question re: machine chipset and the content of your current grub grub last line … just sayin’

Then I would not recommend to remove intel-ucode.

You can use Debian’s grub but follow the procedure here.

You don’t have to worry about updating in Debian for Manjaro kernle updates then.
ps: you can use any of the methods here. if you prefer.

If unsure how to go about it, letting Manjaro grub (you need to install grub 2 bootloader in Manjaro) to be the default grub (to boot Debian as well) would be simplest.

1 Like

eugen-bManjaro Team

Then I would not recommend to remove intel-ucode.

Thank you. I understand I can keep my simple solution, and my question is solved :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark