I have Manjaro XFCE and KDE installed, and until recently had Cinnamon installed as my main DE until the recent update to 18.0.0 wouldn’t allow me to log in to Cinnamon anymore. So I’ve used all three of these DE’s with Manjaro and KDE is definitely the most beautiful, and definitely the SLOWEST by far! I never even thought about performance on XFCE and Cinnamon, because I never had a problem with speed on them. But on KDE, I’m taking 4 minutes just to reach my desktop and 5-10 seconds each just to open Firefox, Pacman, my system settings, Konsole, or anything, really. Contrast that with Cinnamon’s less-than-2-minutes to reach desktop and about-1-second to open any application, and you see why I’m complaining. Is this normal for KDE or is there something wrong with my install? I installed Manjaro with XFCE originally, then added Cinnamon on top of that, then removed Cinnamon, and then finally installed KDE. Might all my desktop hopping have something to do with this problem?
Here’s my set-up.
System: Host: Alloy Kernel: 4.19.6-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: N750JK v: 1.0 serial: <filter> Mobo: ASUSTeK model: N750JK v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: N750JK.203 date: 05/21/2014 Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 44.4 Wh condition: 44.4/69.5 Wh (64%) model: ASUSTeK N750-62 status: Not charging CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4710HQ bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 6144 KiB flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 39925 Speed: 1896 MHz min/max: 800/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1897 2: 1891 3: 1896 4: 1896 5: 1892 6: 1898 7: 1845 8: 1896 Graphics: Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 Device-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6 direct render: Yes Audio: Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.6-1-MANJARO Network: Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: AzureWave driver: ath9k v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 03:00.0 IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8168 v: 8.045.08-NAPI port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0 IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter> Drives: Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 189.50 GiB (20.3%) ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB size: 931.51 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 156.76 GiB used: 19.01 GiB (12.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0 C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2700 Info: Processes: 243 Uptime: 28m Memory: 11.61 GiB used: 1.99 GiB (17.2%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 clang: 7.0.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 inxi: 3.0.27
Thanks all. It worked! I restarted my laptop and performance is now comparable to Cinnamon and XFCE. Still just a tad bit slower than them but at least comparable and acceptable.
I did a lot, so I can’t be too sure what finally did it. What I think finally sped things up:
- Selecting System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session > On Logins > Start with an empty session
- Uninstalling Akonadi / PIM