[SOLVED] Manjaro installation & partition are successful. Black screen just after login with password

I have successfully installed manjaro-gnome-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.
During the installation, I have manually partitioned the system in the following way:

Mount Point:   Flag:          Size:       File System:
 /boot/efi      esp            260 MB      FAT32
                swap           4096 MB     linuxswap
 /              root           472 GB      ext4 - Manjaro operating system

The installation is successful. I shut down the laptop. I disconnect the USB. I switch on the computer, and I can see the Manjaro welcome page, with my username: 'david':

I select 'david':

I type the password, and just afterwards I see a black screen:

Sure, missing Manjaro Sticker :wink:

1 Like

:slap_you_silly:

2 Likes

Must be Gnome4

2 Likes
1 Like

His boot loader's not broken because he got to the display manager and he was able to log in. It's his GNOME that's broken.

Possibly related to Wayland and/or NVIDIA, methinks. :thinking:

4 Likes

I can't tell if that's LightDM or GDM, my eyes are getting so old.

1 Like

Looks like GDM to me. :slight_smile:

One should not disregard the missing sticker. :wink: :slight_smile:

Kidding, of coarse .

1 Like

would this be on a discrete graphics laptop by any chance

1 Like

Sure, merchandising is everything. :smiley: :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

@David1, I would first and foremost attempt to install the necessary updates, because you're missing out on a lot of bug fixes and patches that were released between when the 18.0.4 image was produced and the present day ─ and there has been a major update/upgrade again today, by the way.

Boot up the machine, but instead of logging in at the display manager, press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log in there as root. Then issue the following command...

pacman-mirrors -f 3 && pacman -Syyu

Let it finish updating, and then issue...

sync && reboot

I don't know whether it'll fix the issue, but it's essential that you follow these steps first before anyone can follow up on your problem. :thinking:

2 Likes

@Aragorn Thank you for your reply.

I connected LAN cable and did that.

After doing sync && reboot, it has frozen here:

What shall I do now?

Whoa, wait a minute... Is this a virtual machine? If so, you didn't mention that in your opening post. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@Aragorn No, it is not a virtual machine

Can you reboot the machine with Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Ctrl+Alt+Del does not respond...

I pressed the power button for some time and the computer switched off. I switched on again, selected 'david' as the user, introduced the password (images #1 and #2 from 1st post) and after introducing the password, I receive the image #3 (black screen)

Okay, what hardware is this in terms of the video adapter? You never answered that question. :thinking:

Note: If this has anything remotely to do with NVIDIA, then I'm going to have to defer to someone else, because then I cannot help you. :white_flag: