[Solved] Installed OS can't boot without Live USB Stick

First of all… Great compliment to the Manjaro Team. This OS rocks.

Here my problem:
I’ve installed the System without errors. Everything went smooth.
But when I plug the Stick out I get an error message like, Error booting Operating System.
When I plug the Stick in, it boots normaly.
By the way, I installed Manjaro XFCE Edition on an USB HDD to test it completely before I use it as my main OS.
Do I have to configure the bootloader? (GRUB?)

This makes me a little confused

By the way, I installed Manjaro XFCE Edition on an USB HDD

That, I think is most likely the cause.
So, we’ll start with checking if it is so.

Boot up computer (with ‘Stick’)
Open terminal. at terminal check what is your device mapping.

You should have at least 3 devices,
o your 'Stick’
o your USB HDD (manjaro installation)
o your insternal hard drive.

Note carefully which these are (sda, sdb and sdc)
Also at this point, I want to warn you that every boot will be different and you will need to recheck each time you boot up.

Use either one of the following commands (there’s more) at terminal and be sure you have identified properly the device mapping (sda, sdb, sdc)
o sudo parted -l
o sudo blkid
o lsblk -f

Now you have 2 choices.
o [A] - You want to have Manjaro grub boot up everytime because that Manjaro USB HDD is always inserted whether you want to boot Internal Disk OS or not.
o [B] - You want to boot Manjaro only when you insert the Manjaro USB HDD.
That’s because you may want to boot up the internal Disk OS if the USB HDD is not inserted.
Note: Of course, I understand you do not want to have the ‘Stick’ inserted at all to boot. Got it.

Let’s assume Manjaro USB HDD at this boot time is sdc and Internal Hard Drive is sdb
Change commands below to correct mapping if otherwise.

For [A]

sudo grub-install /dev/sdc

and then

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

finally

sudo update-grub

For [B]

sudo grub-install /dev/sdc
sudo update-grub

Not finished yet, now shut down, pull out ‘stick’ and reboot with Manjaro USB HDD inserted only.
Boot up Internal Disk OS. At this point I assume there is another linux OS in it.
If this internal drive has only windows, and you want to boot windows automatically without the Manjaro USB HDD, this is not the method; and you will need to reinstall windows boot (only boot - fixmbr or something like this) in this internal drive without connecting the Manjaro HDD.

Let’s continue with the other linux OS in internal drive.
After booting up this drive (with Manjaro HDD connected)
Always recheck what this internal hard drive is.
I will take this internal hard drive as sdb. If it is actually sda, correct command below.

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
sudo update-grub

Done.

Good luck.

1 Like

Honestly, I am confused too!
Just to make it clear, you installed Manjaro on PC. Which partition?
When you boot Manjaro run blkid to see the drive/partition identifiers.
And yes, you need to install a bootloader (grub) on the primary disk (not partition) to boot. And after installation you can configure it.
Your problem is the installation, but it could be the order BIOS boots.
Ensure BIOS boots from internal correct disk.
Give some feedback on the above comments to get correct help.

Came back early, completed and fixed the post above.
Good luck.

ps: I’ve deleted some ‘choice words’ I’ve used - normally I do this before sending out so I can do a more thorough job, but mostly to amuse myself. :smirk:

Thanks petsam for helping out. Cheers.

Thank you

Method B worked perfectly.

By the way, everytime I plug the Manjaro USB HDD in I also Plug the other drive out to be sure my other System can’t get affected from nothing. Yes it is paranoid but I like to do it that way.

Anyway, Thank you guys for your great help. :sweat_smile:

Good to hear. And welcome.

'LLo,
@gohlip: i admire how you teaching skills about grub !
But, even if it’s possible & imho, Os/dynamic partition on different drives is not the “enjoy the simplicty” way of doing multiboot -> because the really important is more separated personal datas/static partition & you can loose all your installed Os on a single drive in smiling :smile:
& several Os on a single drive with grub is more simple, isn’t it ?
What do you think about that, (respectfully) grub’s master ? :wink:

I hope I understand you correctly. But just taking my uefi system (so we don’t confuse with the other bios-legacy systems), besides the internal hard drive, I have an external usb drive as well which is always plugged in and several other usb thumb drives which contains OS’s which is not plugged in when I don’t use them. All of these have grub installed in them, and all them have their own dedicated grub.

I can boot any OS on any drive from any of these grubs.
(Actually I can use any of these grubs and boot any other uefi system also regardless whether they have a bootloader or other bootloaders including windows only systems).

So, whether a drive has several OS’s or not as long as there is a grub bootloader, it will boot OS’s in any connected drive.
In this case (this topic), the OP originally has a working grub 2 bootloader (in “STICK”) and has to have it connected to boot the other drives. I just make the other drives to have a “working” grub 2 bootloader so they will all work. That is all it takes.

BTW, grub-legacy was also like this. But making a grub rescue cd in grub-legacy is far far more complex. Needs el torito and process is complicated. And it will boot other systems as well.

As for ‘multiboot’, it can be used to boot grub 2 OS’s from other bootloaders.
Including from another grub 2 bootloader. That’s how I boot a newly installed OS whose grub 2 is set to its own partition.

Hope I answered your queries.
Regards.

ps: respectfully, I have to decline the title ‘grub master’ as there are far far more people much more proficient. And I have done nothing other than using it. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark