SOLVED - HW Issue --Bluetooth keyboard disconnect and detects as new device every 5 seconds

Hi Everyone,

New Manjaro user, first time poster here. Let me just start off by saying, I’m loving Manjaro!!! Its an awesome distro. However I am having a little trouble with my bluetooth keyboard that has started constantly disconnecting and then found as a new device to pair when bluetooth scans for devices. I see this issue both in “bluetoothctl” and in the gnome settings app. I’ll attach some pics of how its constantly populating my list of detected BT devices. Every time I select, and pair with pass code entry, it connects for 1-2sec and then disconnects and is then found as a new device to pair. I’m a little stuck at trying to figure this issue out and if anyone can give me any tips, tricks, suggestions or point me in the right direction to troubleshoot, I’d be most appreciative.

I’m using a Laird BT820 bluetooth dongle in USB port which uses as CSR8510 A10 chip. I’ve tried different USB port and 2.0/3.0 ports. I have flashed the EEPROM of the BT dongle to enable HID proxy mode but then I seen this issue before I flashed it. In fact I seen this issue with a IOGear BT dongle I was using previously.

I am using a MS Designer Keyboard and mouse. I really like this keyboard (thats a first for me with a MS product) and would like to keep using it.

I have a feeling the disconnecting issue is more to do with this keyboard but open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Ok, so I may have just solved the problem already. I’d like to see how I go over the next 24hrs but if after that things are still working, then I’ll come back here to mark this thread as solved.

It appears at the moment to be an issue with BT and WiFi coexistence. When I turned off the WiFi the keyboard would connect AND stay connected. I then performed the following command in terminal and rebooted and so far everything is working with both BT and WiFi on.

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi-opt.conf <<< “options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=N”

2 Likes

So nope! problem not solved. Its started again where the keyboard disconnects 1-2sec after connecting and then found as a new device to pair just as I describe in first post.

I tried going back to my IOGear BT dongle testing in both USB 2 and USB 3 ports but same issue. Something strange going on.

here is the message log after I connect the BT dongle and try to pair

9:21:39 PM kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: last event is not cmd complete (0x0f)
 9:21:33 PM bluetoothd: HID Information read failed: Request attribute has encountered an unlikely error
 9:21:33 PM bluetoothd: HID Information read failed: Request attribute has encountered an unlikely error
 9:21:33 PM bluetoothd: Failed to connection details: getpeername: Transport endpoint is not connected (107)
 9:21:33 PM bluetoothd: Report Map parsing failed at 21
 9:21:33 PM bluetoothd: Error reading CCC value: Request attribute has encountered an unlikely error
 9:21:33 PM bluetoothd: Error reading CCC value: Request attribute has encountered an unlikely error

I’ve had some Bluetooth issues that I eventually solved by installing the blueman-manager. I removed the offending bluetooth device, then added and trusted the device again. Somehow Blueman performed some magic that the default Bluetooth manager could not. I hope this helps with your problem as well. I wrote my findings down here.

Thanks for replying muvvenby. I originally has blueman installed and uninstalled thinking it was cause of my problems. I just tried reinstalling but experience the same issue. As soon as I enter the pincode and the keyboard pairs it immediately disconnects. Its very frustrating as the mouse conencts without a problem and stays connected. Its jsut the keyboard that has the issues.

I read your post that you linked and its seems quite similar to the same situation. Thing on my Manjaro system worked initially so trying to figure out what went wrong.

I also tried upgrading to the 4.17 kernel but no difference.

I have also started having problems with the system waking from suspend in that the PC powers on but no screen and no response from input devices. I have jsut enabled ssh on manjaro so next time I will see if I can ssh in a reboot. See if the system really is away or not. I just mention this other issue incase its somehow related.

Almost forgot about this post but thought I should report back that I found the issue in the end to be a hardware fault with the keyboard. I got a replacement keyboard and all working fine now :slight_smile:

1 Like