[SOLVED] How to use Timeshift on multi-boot laptop

I‘m starting to use Timeshift. Guess I understood its concepts, and I just got the first snapshot stored. Seems to have registered with cron (cronie) automatically.

Before going further, I need to make sure timeshifted is suitable for my environment on the laptop. I have a multi-boot (UEFI, GRUB2) with two Linux‘s on one hard disk, partitioned to EFI, Root 1, Home 1, Root 2, Home 2, Swap, and a big data partition, all ext4 except for EFI. The Linux‘s are Manjaro and Tumbleweed, i.e. both rolling releases, which calls for Timeshift.

How does Timeshift work in this environment? I set it up on each of the operating systems and ask it to rsync its ”own“ system.

(1) Yes, I could put the backups onto the respective root partitions, they are big enough; but the backups could get lost in case of disaster.

(2) Yes, I could alternatively put them onto the respective Home partitions, but they are not overly spacious.

(3) What I would like most is to put both sets of backups onto the big data partition. It‘s big enough. However, I think Timeshift just allows me to select a partition for storing, and it will use a hard-wired directory /timeshift on it.

My question is concerned with case 3: Are the two Timeshift jobs - one per operating system - able to handle this correctly? Or would they eventually mix the two backup chains and destroy everything?

Well, looking at what is inside the /timeshift directory on my single-OS testbed, I am afraid I can answer my question on my own: I think that my desired case 3 will not work. The directory structure underneath does not show an outright indication where it came from.

(Remark: I don‘t like to split the one big data partition into two, there is already quite some stuff on it.)

Anybody here who has a similar multi-boot case? How do you do it? Would my case 3 work at all?

Okay, no need anymore. Have re-partitioned my disk.

I have two SSD with some DE/WM no problem at all, make comment’s to know what is where :wink:

Thank you, @SGS !