Audio issues - Audio randomly stops working (usually while using Firefox)

Hi all,

I have been using Manjaro for a while now and I just can not seem to get my audio working properly. It is very hit and miss - usually it works for a while upon starting my computer and then eventually the audio just stops working altogether. I have found it usually stops working while using Firefox (such as YouTube). In pulseaudio I can see that it is registering the sound, however, it does not come out of any of my speakers or headphones.

Often, I have found i can still play saved videos and hear audio through VLC however, this has sometimes stopped working as well.

Does anybody have any ideas on what this could be? It would much appreciated.

pastebin.com/5BcTGgp2 for my pc settings

My general suggestion with audio issues is to try pipewire. It’s developing rapidly and solves many issues that pulseaudio has.

You should consider updating system BIOS
ASRock > X99 Extreme3

Kernel v5.12.19 is no longer supported on Manjaro
I suggest you replace this kernel with kernel v5.14

I also suggest you turn off the Auto-Mute setting in ALSA
This is a useful feature for laptop systems so that internal speakers are muted when headphones are plugged in, but users with desktop systems may not want the rear audio jack sockets muted when headphones are

amixer --card=0 sset 'Auto-Mute Mode' disabled

(replacing PulseAudio with PipeWire would not resolve an issue in ALSA)

Specifications for USB Speakers state
HD3 Wireless Speakers — Audioengine

• USB 1.1 class-compliant
  • supports a Bit Depth of 24 bits
  • supports Sample Rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz

PulseAudio default bit depth is 16 bits, so USB device should work better if this is reconfigured to 24 bits
Use this command to check PulseAudio configuration

pulseaudio --dump-conf | grep sample

Thank you all so much - I will follow all your advice and see how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.