[SOLVED] Cannot boot into Manjaro from GRUB. It always automatically boot into windows 10

I installed manjaro 17.06 XFCE using usb. I use hp probook 4430s. To boot into manjaro i must manually choose the efi file of manjaro. Where is the grub? . I choosed “Os Boot Manager” in the first boot order of UEFI. But it always automatically boot into windows 10.
Sorry for my broken english.

1 Like

Boot into Manjaro (your way).
At terminal,

findmnt /boot/efi

Any output about your $esp partition?
If none, you did not mount $esp as /boot/efi during installation. Your bad. :yum:
Come back here and we’ll fix it, but it’s easier if you reinstall with the $esp mounted as /boot/efi this time (do not format!)

If yes, your’e good. :+1: So let’s continue.

sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub
efibootmgr

Any output of manjaro and top of bootorder?
If none, install grub package and repeat the 3 commands above.

Finally, do this command. May not be necessary; but what the heck, it may just be the one that will fix it. And no harm if not necessary anyway. Just do it. (and I won’t talk to you if you don’t do it :rofl: - hey, I’m serious)

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

1 Like

You can look in the powerptions from windows10 and disable faststartup. Sometimes if windows update the system it changes by default this option.

1 Like

I have already disabled fast boot in bios before. But there is no “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” option in my windows 10 setting.

i mounted my partition for manjaro install in “/mnt”. And for bootloader i mounted in “/mnt/boot/efi”.
I did what you told, but there was nothing happen. Should “manjaro” on top of bootorder in efibootmgr?

Please provide when booted to Manjaro the following.
Then we’ll work out the commands late.
(I’ll take about 3 hours later, take your time).

LANG=C
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
sudo parted -l
cat /etc/fstab
findmnt /boot/efi
findmnt /boot
sudo blkid
cat /proc/cmdline

Since you have about 3 hours, can you go into system bios setup (I think F2) and see if there is any thing similar to this post that can help you?

Good luck.

1 Like

this is my “efibootmgr” output

BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 0 seconds
No BootOrder is set; firmware will attempt recovery
Boot0000* Notebook Upgrade Bay
Boot0001* Notebook Hard Drive
Boot0002* Notebook Ethernet
Boot0003* Notebook Ethernet
Boot0004* Notebook Ethernet
Boot0005* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0006* manjaro

and this is what you need

LANG=C
[frenicohansen@all1swell ~]$ test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
UEFI
[frenicohansen@all1swell ~]$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD3200BEVT-6 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB fat32 boot, esp
2 525MB 140GB 140GB ntfs msftdata
3 140GB 247GB 107GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
4 247GB 268GB 21,0GB ext4
5 268GB 316GB 47,4GB ext4
6 316GB 320GB 4195MB linux-swap(v1)

[frenicohansen@all1swell ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
UUID=0F5D-17AF /boot/efi vfat defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=ac4c3a04-c9d0-4b78-9361-d27a55a97329 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
UUID=43f74b94-c75a-48a0-86eb-a6f43302edf4 /home ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=7f104b6d-7fed-401f-a638-23a21d3e8e04 swap swap defaults,noatime 0 2
[frenicohansen@all1swell ~]$ findmnt /boot/efi
TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS
/boot/efi /dev/sda1 vfat rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixe
[frenicohansen@all1swell ~]$ findmnt /boot
[frenicohansen@all1swell ~]$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID=“0F5D-17AF” TYPE=“vfat” PARTUUID=“980a2a74-ea23-6132-3672-d0796b33708c”
/dev/sda2: UUID=“34C668C2C66885C8” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTUUID=“2b1bc2be-3a23-1ed4-e504-b6d1d5a30bbb”
/dev/sda3: UUID=“1EBAE11BBAE0F067” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTLABEL=“Basic data partition” PARTUUID=“22d010e5-d4bf-11e7-a4f6-806e6f6e6963”
/dev/sda4: UUID=“ac4c3a04-c9d0-4b78-9361-d27a55a97329” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“723c8cff-a239-47a7-8d3e-4cdf7f755191”
/dev/sda5: UUID=“43f74b94-c75a-48a0-86eb-a6f43302edf4” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“efc097d9-9da4-4e62-bbec-1f658578402e”
/dev/sda6: UUID=“7f104b6d-7fed-401f-a638-23a21d3e8e04” TYPE=“swap” PARTUUID=“e643ee0e-9b50-494e-873e-81f44aae3fe7”
[frenicohansen@all1swell ~]$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64 root=UUID=ac4c3a04-c9d0-4b78-9361-d27a55a97329 rw quiet resume=UUID=7f104b6d-7fed-401f-a638-23a21d3e8e04

my bios is different with this bios. I already set my bios uefi boot order, the first order is os boot manager, but there is no way for me to set manjaro instead of windows boot manager in os boot manager.

presuming you followed @gohlip post #2, and still you cant boot, let me share what i do…
win 10 does not add manjaro grub, so you need to hit F12 / F10 [to access boot options]. once you do, you will be provided with Windows Boot Manager [os boot manager in your case] and Linux. Choose Linux to lead you to grub.

on my acer laptop, i have to hit F12 on boot to get into UEFI boot options which list Linux / Windows Boot Manager. Hope this helps

1 Like

I couldn’t do that

My manjaro install on UEFI…
i created a 512MB FAT32 partition [to be mounted as /boot/efi, then flagged with esp option in menu shown]
a 30G for /
a 4G for swap
and 100 odd for /home.

once you install like this, windows boot manager is not affected, only option is when you hit F12 [as in my acer] it displays bot options listing Windows Boot Manager and Linux [detected thru /boot/efi record]

for UEFI, i found this safe for both OS to co exist. when i dont hit F12, it boots to win10… by default. which can also be changed in bios UEFI options to set default boot

1 Like

I am following this tutorial to dual boot. http://linuxbsdos.com/2016/11/07/how-to-dual-boot-manjaro-16-10-windows-10-on-a-computer-with-uefi-firmware/

my 16.10 works fine on my dell laptop alongside win10 grub on MBR

for acer, i used 17.05 [dont exctly remeber, but i knoew acer win10 was on UEFI and when i booted of USB to install manjaro, i got prompt to create /boot/efi FAT32 partition exclusive for manjaro…
when i did it and flagged the esp option, all went thru smooth… on reboot i realised it booted to windows10 without showing grub

i reboot, hit F12 [to check boot menu options] and i get Linux listed, on choosing linux, it leads me to grub…
BTW, did you check this THREAD ?

1 Like

Is it safe to follow this tutorial? https://askubuntu.com/questions/244261/how-do-i-get-my-hp-laptop-to-boot-into-grub-from-my-new-efi-file

Right, it is possible that your HP uefi is difficult or impossible to make other bootorder the default.
But we’ll try one more time and if that fails again, we’ll do what one HP user did (if your system this time is similar) but at bottom of the retry. i understand you also cannot do what rvc suggests.

RETRY

Boot into Manjaro your way same as you provided the details (very good output, totally understand).
At terminal,

efibootmgr

I assume manjaro bootorder is 0006, and "No BootOrder is set; firmware will attempt recovery"
Never mind this, just note it.

Now, let’s do our stuff.

sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub

Now check again

efibootmgr

Is manjaro now at top of the boot order? If yes, good, if none again, let’s not worry too much but note it.
ps: please record the 2 efibootmgr output for us, okay?

Continue… do this. Important to do this.

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

Now what this do is to make bootx64.efi the manjaro bootloader and some systems only use bootx64.efi the default bootloader. If your system is like this, the UEFI boot Order in your screen shot above will use this and it will boot Manjaro grub.

IF THIS FAILS again
Let’s do what one HP user (not on Manjaro) told me how he did it. I’ll copy wholesale what he wrote below. Hopefully this time it works for you.

Understand English is not your native language. Neither is the writer below (neither am I :grin: ). But hope you can understand him.

######################## start quote #########################
On HP if you go to the boot options you will have Legacy, UEFI hybrid or UEFI native options. Now when I installed Void I chose UEFI native, the installation went fine but when I re-booted, I got a screen saying no operative system installed, shutting down now.

This was strange, I just had finished the installation with no errors?!? So, I re-inserted the USB, rebooted and press F9 for choosing boot options and I have my hard drive, my Void live-usb and something else that was not there the previous time, boot from EFI-file. So, I just had to check that :), right?! Turns out that leads to the exact location of the efi file and following that path my newly installed system booted just fine.

Now, I don’t want to have to do that every time I boot, i.e pressing F9 and then 4 or 5 clicks to get to the efi file in order to boot my system!!! So, I’ve decided to go back into the Boot options with F10 to have a look if that would be something that could be done to make it simpler. On all the options, legacy, uefi hybrid and uefi native there is a sub-menu with boot priority order, so far nothing strange. But, at the end it was a custom boot entry. I had never noticed it before, so I clicked on it and got please enter path to file, or something like that, don’t remember exactly. So, 2+2=4… this must be it :slight_smile: !!!

So re-boot and F9, chose EFI-file and this time writing down after every click (actually every click takes you down the directory tree until you reach the file) the name of the directory. Re-boot and F10, then boot options. I moved custom boot to the top of priorities and then typed in the exact path I had in my piece of paper. Note, windows way, i.e with “” instead of “/” to get the directories and sub-directories. I’m not at my void machine right now, but the line was something like \EFI\void_grub\grubx64.efi. I saved the changes and re-booted and voilá it boots directly to my Void install without further clicks :smiley: ! See, I hate clicks… I use Awesome wm, so I don’t have to click so much. Just joking :lol: .

########################## end quote #######################

If again all this fails, another HP user here has decided to just use bios-legacy But you have your windows in uefi and it may be difficult for you to do the same.

Good luck and hope you find a solution. Cheers.

1 Like

Writing this and repeat so as to emphasize.
Did you do this the first time?

Because you asked

And … It is the same thing.

I’ve done this “sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi” after your read your first answer and there was nothing happen.
But i followed the tutorial from https://askubuntu.com/questions/244261/how-do-i-get-my-hp-laptop-to-boot-into-grub-from-my-new-efi-file .
And it solved my problem. And i just read a thread from HP forum , and somebody said

HP hard coded the paths for the OS boot manager in their UEFI boot manager to \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi".

I think that’s why the solution given in the link solved my problem.
Anyway, i don’t know how to custom boot in my HP bios. My bios is different with the other HP’s bios i found on google.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

4 Likes

Very very good to hear that.
Another thing that we learnt thanks to you :clap::clap::clap: that HP ‘hard-coded’ windows bootmgr to their HP boot manager.
Cheers.

[edit] - so we copy our grub.efi (core.efi) to windows bootmgfw.efi
Ha! It’s time we mess up windows for a change! :rofl:

ps: and some still say it’s a linux problem, sigh.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark