KDE Plasma Widgets Blank on RPi4

Test 2: Chaning to vc4-kms-v3d only results in hanging at Starting TLP system.

Ok back to FKMS driver, had a space in there but now the CMA-384 is working properly. Still no thumbnails in widgets.

I think you need hdmi_group in addition to the hdmi_mode. If your hdmi cable is bi-directional, I would try removing the hdmi_mode and let the driver read the TV/monitor.

Grrr…

Did you try picking a different Plasma Style?

Yeah I did. I’m wonder if it could have any issues with the color space? I had UHD color set on the TV but just turned it off. no change. tvservice reports state 0xa [HDMI CUSTOM RGB lim 16:9], 3840x2160 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

Trying to decode the edid again.

I even tried switching to testing, updating, and tried installing QT6.

EDIT - - There’s no edidparser package … hmmm

I know I’m being picky and can just switch to conky or run XFCE instead, but I’m hoping that I found some kind of bug and can help out the community if we can get it solved.

EDID

Making some progress…

Running plasmapkg2 --type=KSysguard/SensorFace --list -g on both my virtualbox install and my RPi4:

Virtualbox:

[mike@gamma ~]$ plasmapkg2 --type=KSysguard/SensorFace --list -g
Listing service types: KSysguard/SensorFace in /usr/share/ksysguard/sensorfaces/
org.kde.ksysguard.barchart
org.kde.ksysguard.horizontalbars
org.kde.ksysguard.linechart
org.kde.ksysguard.piechart
org.kde.ksysguard.textonly

RPi4:

[mike@tittysprinkles org.kde.ksysguard.linechart]$ plasmapkg2 --type=KSysguard/SensorFace --list -g
Listing service types: KSysguard/SensorFace in /usr/share/ksysguard/sensorfaces/
kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Unable to find service type for service "KSysguard/SensorFace" listed in "/usr/share/ksysguard/sensorfaces/org.kde.ksysguard.textonly/metadata.desktop"
kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Unable to find service type for service "KSysguard/SensorFace" listed in "/usr/share/ksysguard/sensorfaces/org.kde.ksysguard.barchart/metadata.desktop"
kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Unable to find service type for service "KSysguard/SensorFace" listed in "/usr/share/ksysguard/sensorfaces/org.kde.ksysguard.linechart/metadata.desktop"
kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Unable to find service type for service "KSysguard/SensorFace" listed in "/usr/share/ksysguard/sensorfaces/org.kde.ksysguard.piechart/metadata.desktop"
kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Unable to find service type for service "KSysguard/SensorFace" listed in "/usr/share/ksysguard/sensorfaces/org.kde.ksysguard.horizontalbars/metadata.desktop"
org.kde.ksysguard.barchart
org.kde.ksysguard.horizontalbars
org.kde.ksysguard.linechart
org.kde.ksysguard.piechart
org.kde.ksysguard.textonly

Things that make you go hmmmm

I cannot believe it… I got the thumbnails to show up in add widgets. However in all my testing, I broke the system monitor widgets lmao. I know I made progress because the Y-axis bars are there in the widget.

What I think finally fixed it was the commenting out QT_QUICK_BACKEND in /etc/environment but I changed that after I installed mesa-git and vulkan-tools. The problem is I also updated pretty much everything else to the -git variants. At least all of KDE, KF5 and plasma.

I also updated my config.txt to have gpu_mem=128 and cma-512 so TBH I don’t know what fixed it, but without doing a complete reflash I won’t know which one actually fixed it.

I’m going to reflash again fresh, stay on stable, update everything, and change just that to see if that does it.

YASSSSSS!

OK Folks. Here it is!

Fresh Manjaro Arm Install

• No Widget thumbs

Edit config.txt
Add cma-512, 4Kp60, hdmi_mode=97, hdmi_force_hotplug, overclock

• No widget thumbs

Update to mainline kernel
Run system updates.

• Flickering Screen.

SSH in and tvservice -p
System Settings → Display Settings → Set to 3840x2160 @ 60Hz

• Still No Widget Thumbs

Comment out QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software
Log out, Log Back in.

• WIDGET THUMBS ARE THERE!
  • NETWORK SPEED WIDGET WORKS!
1 Like

Yeah.
The Graphs need hardware acceleration probably, so by removing the QT_QUICK_BACKEND thing from /etc/environment you enabled that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m gonna put together an ultimate RPI4 desktop replacement HOWTO for here and I’ll make sure to add this information to it.

@Strit I just set up my VirtualBox VM with all the manjaro arm tools. Is this something that should be defaulted in the installer?

We are working on a plymouth screen, but yes, we will do this by default now. Last we tested, hardware acceleration didn’t work on the V3D driver yet. But I tested some stuff the last couple of days and seems to work pretty well now.

1 Like

@Strit Awesome. I’d love to help, even if its with new background graphics or some fun stuff to help with. Maybe a manjaro-arm specific plasma theme.

We use the Manjaro KDE theme (Breath2). But thanks. :slight_smile:

@Strit while I still got you kinda lol … if I snag a 8gb pi off amazon it should work just moving the SSD over right?

If you are using an up-to-date eeprom, yes.

@darksky would know which.

Correct. When he gets his new pi post the output of sudo rpi-eeprom-update here so we can see if it is the correct version.

Ok thanks guys.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.