[SOLVED] Calamares throws Installation Failed

One of my friends recently tried to dualboot the KDE flavor of Manjaro w/ windows 10 on a hp pavilion desktop 550-310 . They have disabled secure boot and have a uefi system. Here was their partition setup:

But upon pressing next, an error popped up, causing the installer to fail:

No storage space was lost. Once I got this fixed I was planning to just use [HowTo] Dual-boot Manjaro - Windows 10 - Step by Step. But I noticed that the screenshot of the installer that he sent didn't have a manual partitioning in a first place. That is very strange indeed. But come to think about it, I don't remember this on MY installation either. Has this moved to something else?
That is strange indeed.
Any ideas? Thank you for any help that you may be able to provide.

If output of inxi -Fzzz is required, I will ask him to sign up and paste here.
EDIT 1: apparently he didn't lose storage space, he just misread... :sweat_smile:

You need to boot into Windows and run chkdsk c: - while you are at it you need to disable Windows Fastboot and Hybrid sleep.

Ah. Just out of curiosity, what does chkdisk do? Provide debugging info?
Never mind, found it - it fixes problems. Do we also return the output of it here?

And is fastboot/hybird necessary to disable?

Would you have any idea why the installer threw that error

No, that's a Windows command to fix errors on the Windows partitions.

Probably because there were errors on the Windows disk/partition.

1 Like

Yeah but it would probably return something :sweat_smile:
I was just asking about that

Ah okay. Hopefully chkdsk fixes 'em, also why didn't the manual partitioning show? (I believe we need it for uefi)

Oh, also I was reading the docs

Checks the file system and file system metadata of a volume for logical and physical errors. If used without parameters, chkdsk displays only the status of the volume and does not fix any errors. If used with the /f , /r , /x , or /b parameters, it fixes errors on the volume.

So do we pass in any of those?

I am assuming that I should use chkdsk /r c: to repair any errors AND scan for bad sectors, and if it asks for a reboot, accept.
Is this correct?
Windows chkdsk then seems similar to the fsck tool on unix

Oh wait.
Apparently chkdsk comes w/ risk of deleting files when /r or /f is used. So at this point I'm not sure what to instruct my friend to do

:confounded: if anyone has an idea, plz ping me, thank you :wink:

@linux-aarhus chkdsk c: from powershell as administrator, WITHOUT any additional flags, just for information.
Shall I get chkdsk c: /f?

The type of the file system is NTFS.                                                                                 
Volume label is Windows.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
WARNING!  /F parameter not specified.                                                                                  
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...                                                                       
1428480 file records processed.                                                                                  
File verification completed.                                                                                              
21464 large file records processed.                                                                                     
0 bad file records processed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...                                                                                  
72514 reparse records processed.                                                                                        
1835238 index entries processed.                                                                                      
Index verification completed.                                                                                             
0 unindexed files scanned.                                                                                              
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                                                                          
72514 reparse records processed.                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...                                                                             
Security descriptor verification completed.                                                                               
203380 data files processed.                                                                                          
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...                                                                                        
37526136 USN bytes processed.                                                                                         
Usn Journal verification completed.                                                                                    
The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.                                                           
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.                                                                                         
Windows has checked the file system and found problems.                                                                 
Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.                                                                                                                                                                          
957755391 KB total disk space.                                                                                          
403504828 KB in 1213982 files.                                                                                             
619048 KB in 203381 indexes.                                                                                                 
0 KB in bad sectors.                                                                                              
1565815 KB in use by the system.                                                                                          
65536 KB occupied by the log file.                                                                                  
552065700 KB available on disk.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.                                                                                
239438847 total allocation units on disk.                                                                               
138016425 allocation units available on disk. 

See edit. apparently he didnt lose storage space he misread.
I'm gonna ask him to run chkdsk /scan, if that doesn't work, we will try /F

Output with /scan: https://pastebin.com/FpM2yFQb
Is it safe to attempt an installation again, and do we use the method for uefi? (bc the manual partitioning doesn't show like your tutorial... @linux-aarhus )

@linux-aarhus tutorial needs an update to the new changes made to Calamares. however any other partitioning application can be used to create free space for Linux.

ah. so would you have guide on how to do it for a uefi system? assuming it can be done with gparted but I don't know how
Also does that chkdsk output look right?

Shrink the Windows Partition using Disk Manager in Windows. It's the safest way to change the NTFS partition without corrupting it. DO NOT just use 'any' partitioning application in linux.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

Do that, your friend's system will be repaired on the next windows boot. a corrupt bitmap is nothing major and will be sorted out fast. a new one will be generated in it's place.

Also I recommend to use 20.0-rc2 ISOs for installation.

i did that and showed the output https://pastebin.com/FpM2yFQb
It seemingly did not detect errors. Will tell him to reboot then do the installation when he has time.

From my previous experience this creates some unallocated space.
however, how do I assign this to manjaro during installer? Also will I have to enable any efi flags as the out of date tutorial shows? Thank you :smiley:

Why would you recommend those?
My friend has already written a 19 one, but he can install the 20.0 ones if needed. I personally am on 20.0rc (just did reinstall two or three days back) but 19 is stable.

Ehmm @antikythera as it didn't detect problems (/scan), after a reboot, the same error still shows when scanning with chkdsk. Do I use /F or what?

yes but lowercase /f

regarding the 19.0.2 media, I hope it's not GNOME. If it is, tell your friend to optimise their mirrorlist and do the first update with pacman in terminal:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5
sudo pacman -Syyu

Forum kindly sponsored by