[Solved] Automount issues

ARM XFCE Preview 2 RPi4.
Here's the deal, I have a 3TB NTFS drive I want to automount for an SMB share.
What I usually do, and have done in the past on Manjaro KDE & Ubuntu MATE (RPi2) is adding it to /etc/fstab.

I create the folder (Deluge) in my home dir for the mount point, all good, I'm the owner and have all permissions.
But.. if I add it to /etc/fstab, owner and group is changed to root and I can't for the life of it change it.
dev/sda1 /home/michael/Deluge ntfs defaults 0 0

I've tried the usual as root and with sudo
chown -R michael /home/michael/Deluge
chgrp -R michael /home/michael/Deluge
Nothing changes and root is still owner when I do a ls -l /home/michael/Deluge.

The only way my user (michael) has full access is if I remove it from fstab and do a manual mount once booted to DE.
I've never experienced this before, any suggestions ?

Try writing a systemd mount/automount unit. Sometimes a mount unit will work better than an fstab entry.

Also could you post your fstab entry for your drive.

ntfs is a read only driver, you need ntfs-3g if you want write. You should specify the UID and GID to mount it as.

Something like this:

/dev/sda1 /home/michael/Deluge ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,windows_names 0 0
2 Likes

You're a star, it works now.
Just curious why it's fine on my old RaspberryPi2 running Ubuntu MATE with these settings:
/dev/sda1 /home/michael/Deluge ntfs defaults 0 0
Oh well, it works, that's all that matters.

Hmm, where has the "mark as solution" gone ?

1 Like

I've had some issues with the external drive locking up the system at random.
I suspect it's an NTFS issue, not sure though.

I've formatted drive with ext4 now, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed it'll work now.
On the plus side, transfer speed over network via Samba has almost doubled now (110,000 kbytes/s). :+1:

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark