Wayland issues with Manjaro Gnome 20.2

Hello. Since Manjaro Gnome 20.2 has opted to use Wayland by default, I tested it and found out that it still has issues. I found the following:

1. Blurry fonts when fractional scaling support is activated. It does not matter then whether the scaling is actually fractional but only activating the experimental feature (“gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "[‘scale-monitor-framebuffer’]”) makes fonts in many applications blurry. Reverting the setting back helps and everything is crips but only 2x and 4x scaling is supported which makes Gnome desktop bigger than optimal for my 32" 4K display.
  2. Modal windows are created incorrectly. A lot of applications makes modal windows in such a way that they create a notification toast that the window is prepared and then the modal window is created in the background hidden behind the main window. An example of such a case is About window in Firefox.
  3. Content of a window is out of frame of the parent application. It happens typically in cases when the content is supplied by a different application, e.g. video in SMPlayer supplied by MPlayer.

Fortunately, it is easy to revert back to X11 by selecting it during logging-in - which I do. I thus currently run Manjaro 20.2 Gnome on X11 with patched mutter-X11-sc set to 175% scaling and everything works correctly. But I’ll be glad to use modern Wayland after remaining issues are fixed that’s why I created this thread that is supposed to collect issues (and possibly also solutions) specific to using Manjaro Gnome with Wayland.

2 Likes

Hello,

Please check and install the mutter-x11-scaling instead. Not sure if you are in the stable branch, but you can read more about it here

Also, i don’t really know how or if somehow that patch has an influence on the wayland session behavior.

Hello, thank you for letting me know about this update.

The package is, however, not listed among packages in the stable branch: I can find the following packages only: mutter-3.38.1-1, mutter-x11-sc-3.38.1-1, mutter6-3.36.6-1 and deepin-mutter-3.20.38.4 in the official Manjaro respositories plus multitude of mutter packages including mutter-performance-3.38.2-1 in the AUR repository. But there is no mutter-x11-scaling package. Is it going to be added to the stable branch or building from git is required?

1 Like

Yes, you’ll see it in the next stable update.

2 Likes