Soft lockup of threads during initialization of rule-based manager for device events and files

Hi! Just to clarify, I have read some forum posts that discuss a similar issue to mine but I still haven’t been able to solve it with the solutions provided. I am trying to set up my main work-station machine with dual boot (Win10-Manjaro). I have first decided to test out my hardware support with virtualization within Win10 using Oracle VirtualBox to see if any problems arise from my 3080ti video card. I downloaded the iso for Manjaro KDE Plasma, enabled CPU virtualization in BIOS and booted up the VM. During first-time boot I was getting a soft-lockup of some of my threads. This issue started to occur when trying to initialize “rule-based manager for device events and files” and it was failing to initialize journal. I have read on other forum websites that it can occur for multiple reasons including memory swap capability but I am unsure how that applies to what I am trying to do. I am fairly new to Manjaro but in the past I have setup other machines with debian-based distros (Just not on this machine). I make reference to this post since it is the only one similar to my problem. In that post OP mentions that his manages to boot but mine doesn’t it keeps trying to initialize rule-based manager for device events and files. I am unsure if it has something to do with my hardware/bios/image/vm-settings. Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated. Any resources or references that can be provided are welcome.

Just in case it is needed my pc specs are:
Graphics Card: Nvidia 3080ti
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
RAM: 64Gb ddr4 3600

VM resources:
16Gb RAM
128Gb storage
8 cores

Virtualbox don’t use your GPU directly. So what do you expect that should be tested here? OpenGL acceleration?

That could have several issues. If you mean this:

Then it is a watchdog bug. Watchdog is rather useless in VMs, since it is only there to ensure that the system shutdown, but useful on headless systems.

Myself I stopped using virtualbox, since gnome-boxes (pretty straight forward and simple) or more advanced: virt-manager, works much better and it don’t need an extra dkms driver.

Maybe try this instead?

EDIT: I just see now, that your HOST is Win10. Sorry, libvirt is no option for you in this case. But it must be a problem of the virtualization software.

Thanks for trying to help! Yeah, I understand that it doesn’t use my gpu directly but wanted to test it out before commiting to install it on my spare ssd and doing the dual boot setup for grub. By any chance do you know what things to look out for in the settings of virtualbox? I am pretty sure I have set it up correctly but has been a long time since I last used VirtualBox, so idk. I am not sure if here is the best place to ask this sort of thing but at least I’ll try. I have attached a screenshot of my VM settings.

Without having a log or an error message, I can’t say anything.

So you can boot and it works, but only this message concerns you?

If you can get a terminal, look this up:

journalctl --boot 0 # or --boot -1

Thanks for the reply! It doesn’t boot directly into manjaro desktop it just keeps trying to start up the rule-based manager.
I am only able to get it to the grub screen to select settings and stuff.

just note that this enough for the arch installer, but not for a full desktop like KDE.

grafik

I’ll increase that to see if it works. Thank You!

Update: Increased Video Memory to Max 128Mb and still… doesn’t start up.

ok I tried it myself with virtualbox. And you see it works as expected:

I would assume your iso is corrupt. Check it with the sha1 file:

sha1sum -c <(echo $(curl -s "https://download.manjaro.org/kde/21.2.6/manjaro-kde-21.2.6-220416-linux515.iso.sha1"))