So if i move my manjaro arm partitions

From one drive to another how do i get them booting again at the new drive?

I can’t just update grub as grub is not used

All I get is the sit and spin

You really need to give more info. What device. How and what did you move to another drive.

1 Like

From the past comments on older posts.
It’s a Raspberry Pi 4

No information about my system should be needed really though if you understand the problem.

If you move your manjaro partitions to another drive in x86 or 64. Then in order to make your system bootable on the new location, you manjaro-chroot into it and update grub and reboot and BLAM! Moved partitions now boot up from a new drive.

If you didn’t know that then you clearly haven’t tried hard enough to break your system! Hahaha!

So on a pi what do you do? There’s no grub to update…

You need to update the PARTUUID in both the bootscript (cmdline.txt) and in fstab to the new one.

1 Like

It is difficult to understand the problem without the information required for people not sitting in front of your Pi to know what you did and what the issue may be. There are usually multiple ways to accomplish something and the solution is usually directly related to how the issue came to be.

I still do not for sure know what the issue is. If you used gparted to move the partitions, the PARTUUID should have moved with the partition. And you should not have an issue booting.

Try running sudo blkid. Then check the /etc/fstab and /boot/cmdline.txt files to make sure the (part)uuid’s are all correct. If not, correct them and try booting again.

If they are correct, you have some other issue. Turn off all of the console redirects (change tty3-> tty1, remove quiet, plymouth support) from cmdline.txt and mkinitcpio.conf, rebuild the initramfs and reboot to see the console messages.

1 Like

I don’t understand what is difficult to understand about moving a partition from one drive to another… Ext4 is exceedingly easy to do that with esp while using gparted.

I hope you find a solution.

1 Like

Sure moving the partition is easy. Making the system aware of the move, is different depending on your device.

1 Like

There are different ways to break your system when moving your partitions with different methods. With out you providing what device you were using and how you actually did it leaves a guessing game of a multiple solutions to try. Knowing now what device you have @strit’s answer is the common solution if you have moved the partitions properly.

In the last 8 years (27 years on linux) starting with the original pi1 I have experimented trying different things and broke my system so many times I have lost count and learned what my mistakes were. I still break my system even to today and am still learning trying new things.

1 Like

Pi berry 4b 8g argon one case with 256 GB m.2 ssd. Also there are a 32 GB sandisk microsd card as well as an msata drive of 128gb that uses a 2 1/2 inch sata case adapter with an adapter to USB that are sometimes optionally used.

Do you now have more than 1 drive with the same PARTUUID.
Do you have more than 1 drive with a boot partition now.

From what you posted above it appears it can not see your new drive after running the initrd.

1 Like

No. Never.

It seems raspberry pi imager holds the easiest option.