So how's Manjaro KDE?

Now you are presented by which services are being started. Likely it has been done for making debugging easier.

To be short; It’s absolutely wonderful.
Not once has an update broken my system and it’s nearly a year ago I did the initial install.

1 Like

The Manjaro KDE is one of the best you can find IMHO. Its main advantage compared to many other KDE distros is that it’s very light and runs well even on older hardware. It also features a nice theme and can be easily expanded (*).

Breakages may occur, but if you stay on stable channel the risks are minimised.

(*) Dear KDE theme developers, can we please have transparent widgets?

6 Likes

Absolutely agreed !

Thank you all, will try it out in the evening.

Kind regards

One word of caution to newbies coming from LM KDE. If you legacy dual-boot with Linux Mint.
The first time Mint upgrades its grub, you will need to:

2 Likes

KDE Plasma, the most customizable DE ever!

3 Likes

only if you are a KDE user and have plenty of time to play Lol

1 Like

KDE is a bit like Arch in that it takes a little time to learn all its options, takes a little time to setup exactly the way you like, but if done right it only needs to be done once. You end up with a highly customized, individual desktop ui.

Took me about a month of trial and error to work out exactly what works best for me, which could be completely different for others, I haven’t changed it since.

Best thing is I can set it up exactly the same way on other distros, if the need ever arises.

Only thing I don’t really like is KIO, like others have mentioned in other KDE topics, but it still works for my needs.

5 Likes

The difference being once Arch is setup you can forget it, it will run for years with minimal maintenance from the user KDE is never ending. Sorry that is how I find it, Even gnome is only a hr every 6months of my time, Yes I agree you far settings come out of your backside with KDE but how many are really needed for the user. I personally think the likes of JWM/openbox etc are much more configurable and stable but its all Linux at the end of the day.

I can only speak through my experience, my KDE setup hasn’t changed since I set it up, and has been stable and solid for a long time now.

These days I don’t think personal DE preference comes down to stability, choices are made according to a person’s attitude to config flexibility and workflow compatibility.

Either you like Gnome’s enforced layout and workflow or you don’t. If you don’t it cannot be changed much so these people use something different.

Anyway the topic is about Manjaro’s KDE implementation, not Gnome, probably better to take any further Gnome vs KDE comments to a more appropriate thread, instead of hijacking this one.

2 Likes

That is good coming from you hijacking every Gnome thread lol.
The Title says SO HOW IS MANJARO KDE.
It was not hijacking I used KDE for many years the only thing that has changed in nearly a decade is names its still the 90s dated DE I used for years.
For 3 months this year I used KDE and it was a total disappointment for me sorry that is how it was nothing has changed since KDE 4.
The features I did like in dolphin have gone, the interface takes up to much space the themes are clunky thick borders, better suited to a 4.1 screen,
The only real Improvement is pulseaudio, KDE was very weak in the sound department then. The other nice thing is Ram has gone back down to a more normal level so no more excuses on that one.
I’m sorry to me KDE does not inspire me just reminds me of the past and why i stopped using it.

Then don’t. Simple. FFS, you are like a 2 year old child sometimes…

1 Like

I don’t after 3 months trial.
why are just looking for a fight I’m answering the topic Header How do you find Manjaro KDE?

I did not see the OP is coming from Mint, and I also did not see anything about double booting. The OP asks for a new Linux distro, in this case Manjaro, if it is good for him. So I wrote what I wrote.

1 Like

I confirm I’m looking for a single boot and ‘not getting in the way’ KDE distro I can only update and forget about and do my work.
As for the live mode - it’s purring like a kitty cat, like the plasma implementation. No updates so yet to see how it looks on octopi. Found my way around yaourt just nice.
Edit: I’m coming from Debian KDE, I like it, but it’s really rigid if you want anything newer.

1 Like

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

This contains common package management functions for a number of different package managers. If you are familiar with apt, you can lookup the corresponding pacman syntax for the same, or similar, function.

I would recommend applying updates from konsole using pacman, not from within a GUI tool like Octopi or Pamac. General process is to make sure your current mirror is up to date and synced, then apply your update.

2 Likes

I’m suprised how light KDE plasma 5 runs these days.
Manjaro GNOME and Ubuntu 17.10 take about 1.3GiB of RAM on startup just for the basic DE.
Manjaro KDE starts with about 517MiB, this is helpful on notebooks with less than 4GiB of RAM.

3 Likes

There it goes, a full day use, installed on my machine. Must say it works flawlessly, though I had some issues with setting adding something to cron to be run at boot. Now everything works as it should.

How much time did you guys survive before an upgrade ruined your system? Is such a thing common with Manjaro?

Rarely, but good practice to backup your system prior to any stable update, just in case. They can get quite large if testing branch had issues to resovle first, this delay can act like a metaphorical update dam wall.

Good practice to have a USB stick with a Manjaro ISO burned on it, makes it easier to diagnose and fix any issues that do arise if your system won’t boot properly.

Also good practice to have more than one kernel installed, if one fails for any reason, you can attempt to boot the other. Latest stable kernel plus latest LTS kernel are usually a good idea, depending on your hardware and preferences of course.

$ mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 4.13.10-1-MANJARO (linux413)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux413
   * linux49

Available kernels

mhwd-kernel -l

To install

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linuxXX

If you remove a kernel just make sure you it is not the kernel you are currently using.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark