Slow boot time compared to windows

got you for the hybrid setup :wink:

plymouth, yeah maybe that adds up to your boot time :wink:

changing the compression can help in boot time depending upon what’s the bottleneck I/O or decompression time. For me LZ4 gives the best result.

I have noticed a difference by disabling the splash screen on my machine.
Also i have noticed increase in boot times when modules are added in mkinitcpio

Yes KDE Plasma desktop DOES take quite some time to boot up, notwithstanding rebooting after big updates which are exasperatingly LONG…! But, hey, it’s as full-featured as it gets and isn’t sluggish when in use. So, some pains, but some big gains!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your helpful information :slight_smile:

How can I accomplish that?

What’s the difference between splash screen in kde settings and splash in grub?

Uncomment the line for LZ4, save the file and run the command
sudo mkinitcpio -P

Also test XZ and CAT(uncompressed), for CAT you will have add a line

COMPRESSION="cat"

Keep only one compression uncommented at a time

FYI:

You should be converting those strings into bash arrays soon, the latest version uses bash arrays instead of strings, they might drop the support for string arrays in future…
An example of a conversion:

• MODULES="amdgpu nvidia nvidia_drm nouveau"
    Would become:
    MODULES=(
       amdgpu
       nvidia
       nvidia_drm
       nouveau
    )

PS: I have these for my single nVidia card:
    • nvidia
    • nvidia_modeset
    • nvidia_uvm
    • nvidia_drm

Splash screen in KDE setting is like welcome screen in windows and splash in GRUB is like the Windows screen.

I was suggesting to disable the one in KDE settings, GRUB splash screen may also have impact on boot times but i haven’t tested it.

1 Like

OMG!
Shouldn’t the system do that automatically?!
I mean lots of users like me don’t know that right?

Thanks so much

Well it is documented inside the comments if one reads them :wink:
But yea i guess they should automate it also…

1 Like

Yeah you’re right but I mean lots of people don’t even know about that thing :joy:

The splash in KDE is the one you get after clicking the login button while your session is being setup.
The one in grub is during computer boot.

I personally use bootsplash-systemd + bootsplash-theme-manjaro because i don’t use grub as active bootloader but instead use sd-boot

But anyhow…
Your system boots faster as M$ afaict, if you want it even faster you might try using hibernation like M$ does also…

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help

Really?!
Windows doesn’t shut down the computer?!

Another question
Bootsplash is the same as plymouth?

Yes,Windows only hibernate when you press the shutdown button by saving all the processes and other stuff to the disk everytime,you only do a complete shutdown if you hold the shift button and then press the shutdown button,or when you press the restart button.

1 Like

OOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGGGG :joy:
I didn’t know that
Thanks for informing me :slight_smile:

1 Like

And that’s also why you do NOT (and can not by default) access a Win 10 disk from Linux as the file system is in a ‘dirty state’. You need to disable this functionality in windows first to be able to access the disk properly without risking damaging anything from Linux.

PS: also you’re assuming that Linux is one unique thing when talking about Linux being faster than Windows. This is not the case as depending on your desktop environment or the packages installed, this can change a lot the boot time and ‘performance’.

2 Likes

No they are different.

• Bootsplash is implemented in the kernel (when compiled in)
  • Plymouth is a user-space framework.
1 Like

Isn’t there such a thing in linux?
I really wanna see a very smooth and flicker-free boot on linux
Because even when I hibernate, after powering my laptop on I can see laggish plymouth
Also another thing
When logging in on sddm, system takes a little bit time to show the titles and icons(my panel is hidden)

It looks quite normal - but you can’t quite trust that statistic.

The final result depends on how fast you are to input username/password at the graphical login.

You can’t judge by Windows either because Windows uses it’s own fast-boot (which you may or may not have disabled) which swaps the vital memory parts to disk then loads the whole #! from disk - which pretty much skips a lot of device initialization - as device states are among the swapped memory.