Slow boot, "disk verification" during boot and pkgfile database update error

Nahh quoting is shell agnostic, you just need to use ASCI quotes…single or double doesnt matter…
Try the command in the last code output i posted above, which has ASCII double-quotes…

Well then, this :point_down:

:man_shrugging:

is me, officially out of ideas…

Hahahaha try to type the command with some other text between the double-quotes to see, instead of copy/paste… :wink:
The Unicode double-quotes is what makes it barf…

1 Like

OK, yeah. You have it right:

$ journalctl --grep "Failed to start pkgfile database update"
[...]
Oct 26 10:06:24 Mirdarthos-PC systemd[1]: Failed to start pkgfile database update.
[...]
$ journalctl --grep "Failed to start pkgfile database update"
[...]
Oct 26 10:06:24 Mirdarthos-PC systemd[1]: Failed to start pkgfile database update.
[...]

Erm…

Don’t worry about the diff between your output and mine…im on Kubuntu nowerdays which doesn’t use pacman :wink:

Is this service important? Since I’m using purely pamac for all interactions with the packages, I don’t need this service, right? I’ve removed it pamac remove -co pkgfile.

(This probably won’t solve anything with your slow start, I guess you have a slow hard disk.)

pamac is just a front-end to the package system you use…
So i hope you didn’t remove your own package system, else you won’t be able to change any software anymore…

But…i think that service is just to update the package database, eg, so you know when you have possible updates available…

Look at pkgfile. It downloads the files databases. I wonder why it’s even installed and enabled by default on Manjaro because pamac search --files provides the same functionality.
And pamac automatically updates these databases if necessary.

You will end up with the same data stored twice on your system (same as pacman/pamac packages database).

It’s for zsh’s command not found handler. When you type a non-existent command it searches the pkgfile database and tells you if it exists in a package, it’s faster than the pacman -F version. I haven’t seen a pamac version.

pkgfile handler
pacman handler

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll reinstall it then. :+1:

1 Like

nice info didn’t know that :+1:

1 Like

Didn’t realize this, but yeah:

$ pactree -r pkgfile
pkgfile
├─debtap
└─manjaro-zsh-config

Originally thought it was something I installed and forgot about, but I remember that now. Thanks.

1 Like