Slow and lagging system

How long has this happened?

Is this fresh installed?

Judging from the disk size 120GB (small), this is dual boot with Windows correct?

1 Like

Judging from the disk size 120GB (small), this is dual boot with Windows correct? - Yes, that right
How long has this happened? - I have the same problem with any linux operating system I install
Is this fresh installed? - Yes, that right

What I can suggest is to use this at longer time, maybe 1 week, and see if there’s still a performance issue.

This is to let the SSD “accustom” itself accessing its internal pages and so on (like depending on the SSD manufacturer, some SSD models even have some cache layer, which is why you need to use the system longer); because you use the empty space that hasn’t been used (ever since you used the laptop with Windows) when you reduced the Windows partition during installation from fresh.

Reply to this topic again if you still encounter issue. Else if the performance issue has gone, just mark this topic as solved.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for your support .

I have followed those steps already. And this is the result:

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

This forum is not a magic wand - we cannot solve your issue - only provide ideas on what to do.

Ultimately it is your task to implement what ever necessary - and if nothing helps - there’s nothing we can do to change it.

After modifying the grub configuration you need to restart the system - otherwise changes will not applied.

Over and out.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you for your support. Sorry for bothering you. I’m just a newbie. Sorry for my english is not good.

120GB is Linux+Windows or just Linux?

If it is Linux+Windows, it is small but it should not be slow and lagging

(I used to have a Surface Pro 6 and it is 8+256, and I usually use about 100GB as Linux)

I think it is the kernel’s fault, you can go to testing branch and update the kernel.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for your support.

Actually, I am facing the same issue with this new Qunos version, like the system just freezes after a while.

1 Like

OK, I found that:

Partition:
  ID-1: / raw-size: 34.18 GiB size: 33.35 GiB (97.56%) used: 11.03 GiB (33.1%)
    fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6 maj-min: 8:6 label: N/A
    uuid: 4162225a-bbdb-4b0d-86f4-053e33667644
  ID-2: /boot/efi raw-size: 500 MiB size: 499 MiB (99.80%)
    used: 292 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda5 maj-min: 8:5 label: N/A
    uuid: C837-4795
  ID-3: /home raw-size: 10.74 GiB size: 10.47 GiB (97.48%)
    used: 2.16 GiB (20.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7 maj-min: 8:7 label: N/A
    uuid: 08a1069f-390f-4aa2-af59-e9c795132f03

About 45GiB Linux and 75 GiB Windows.

Is the system slow and laggy without teamviewer?

1 Like

Yes, it 's right. It often lags when I watch a video or I do something. But windows doesn’t have the same problem.
Sorry for my english is not good. :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree with you that it might help trying a different kernel, however I think before suggesting to a new user to switch branches, we should first suggest trying a different kernel that’s available within the stable branch, like 5.10.

1 Like

Sorry that I am a “update madman” and I believe that bugs could be fixed by updates. So I tend to suggest people to try newer kernels.

Viet’s computer use Intel Core i3-6100 and Intel HD Graphics 530 which is, I think, an old computer. (CPU is 6 years old)

@Viet You can first try 5.14 then 5.10 then 4.19, I believe it is graphics driver’s fault.

and @linux-aarhus AUR packages is not so dangerous as you think. I have never met a bug cause by AUR packages while I use many packages like typora, vscode, pycharm-pro and ds9-bin from AUR and ArchlinuxCN

I know that - you know that - but AUR is unsupported and should not be encouraged.

The reason AUR packages can be problematic is because they may break on system sync and when such breakage occur - users usually blame the update - where it is in fact a foreign package which must be rebuilt to match the new system state.

2 Likes