Slimjet sound problem and how to use older version

I like to try other browsers and one is Slimjet but the latest updates stopped working correctly, no sound on websites.

I would like to go back to an earlier version but the AUR only has the most recent one. Any suggestions?

It used to be to get sound working you had to go to Github for a Lbffmpeg file and move it to Slimjet/Opt. That no longer works in the latest Slimjet. Maybe none of the Slimjet versions will work with the 5.4.124-1-MANJARO kernel??

You can checkout any commit you like from the AUR page:

• Click on View Changes under Package Actions
  • Choose the commit you want; i.e., Update to 28.0.3.0
  • Click on the tree commit hash:
    9be636f70c7c7555463a8050351509484dcf428f
  • Copy the link in the URL bar, then paste it in the second command below:
    sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel git
    git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/?h=slimjet&id=7487ecade2d1f944dba9248ee13cc2d648a1bc2f
    cd slimjet
    makepkg -srcif

Thank you for the reply.

Just to make sure I was doing everything correctly, I copied what you wrote into the terminal. It didn’t work. Maybe I should just stick to the browsers that work for me? :slight_smile:

Maybe it is because I have a newer version of Slimjet installed? I get this message:

:: Starting full system upgrade…
warning: pamac-cli: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
warning: pamac-common: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
warning: pamac-gtk: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
there is nothing to do

I feel like such a dummy. I’ve gotten too accustomed to DEB files where you click and install.

No, that means you already have what is required to be installed. Move on to the next step.

I’ll need to study this later. I need to run to the store for some adult beverages, company is coming.

Ok, I’m back.

I figured out some of the issue and that is slimjet is in the opt folder. But I don’t think I’m going to be allowed to write an older version into that folder.

You’ll have to be more specific than that.

man makepkg

Also available online: makepkg(8) — Arch manual pages

That’s normal for an Electron-based browser, Google Chrome is installed in the same place.

In this case, that probably won’t work because flashpeak(who makes slimjet) uses the same package name for every version. Grabbing an old PKGBUILD will still build a package with the most recent version.

Did you check your local package cache to see if you have a copy of an older package? That being said, that broke a few versions ago.

Ah, didn’t notice that. Well, so much for that idea.

Hey, haven’t seen you around these parts in awhile. Good to see you again! :wave:

1 Like

Thanks! You too. :wave:

The up to date version still works in Mint. I always like to try and figure out why things don’t work.

So thanks for all the help given to me. In January 2021 my wife of over 40 years was diagnosed with AML Leukemia and I have learned to accept help from who ever and when ever it is offered.

Now that things aren’t acute I can get back to playing around with computers.

The most likely reason is that Manjaro has much newer libraries than Mint. Chances are, something in slimjet isn’t compatible those more recent libraries.

Glad to hear things are going a bit better for you.

True. Manjaro is more cutting edge than Mint. So yep, Slimjet has to catch up to Manjaro.

As sole caregiver things are better because I’ve learned how to stay in peace and remain at rest. Chemo is terrible stuff and in the future they will look back and think we were barbarians to use such stuff.

I even picked up one of my guitars this week. Not playing for 6 months is the longest time of not playing in the past 50 years.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.