Simple Way To Launch Netflix Via Chrome In App Mode

menu
cinnamon
xfce
applications
google-chrome

I don’t like using the “hacks” for running Netflix on Kodi, so I stick with the tried and true Netflix webpage via Google Chrome until the official Kodi addon gets released eventually. In this instance I am using Manjaro Cinnamon on a dedicated home theater computer in 720p resolution for better TV use (hence the larger interface in the screenshots). Now you can go the long way around and make your own custom launcher, which will launch Netflix in app mode (no borders) using the exec command: google-chrome-stable --app=http://www.netflix.com However there is a much easier way and I didn’t even know you could do this in Chrome on Linux until today. Here’s what you do:

1- Install the official Netflix app for Chrome (which is basically just a link to the website) here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/netflix/deceagebecbceejblnlcjooeohmmeldh?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

2- In your Chrome apps menu right click the Netflix app icon and select “Open As Window”. This will tell the launcher to open in “App Mode” and also in a dedicated window.

3- While still in the right click menu, choose “Create Shorcuts”. Then choose your desired entries (desktop, or applications menu, or both). A super easy way to make Chrome app menu entries without busting out MenuLibre or a text editor - this is Manjaro not Arch after all, who has time to do things the manual way!

4- That’s it, just click your new desktop or menu entry that will be located in “Chrome Apps” in your menu. The dedicated entry will open up in “App Mode” independent of any other Chrome activities you have going on. And obviously you can use this method for any Chrome App, not just Netflix. This is working for me on both Cinnamon and XFCE.

For this type of thing I have just used an ssb (‘ice-ssb’ in aur)

I’m not familiar with SSB’s. What does a program like this do that Chrome itself cannot? From what I’m finding here https://peppermintos.com/guide/ice/ it seems that Chrome is more than capable of doing what the SSB can do. Why do you prefer having this package installed over the built in features of Chrome?

I prefer it for a number of reasons.
Say I used something like PaleMoon for my daily, but I needed chrome for some game.
Or in this case, say I didnt want to add anything to my chrome setup. So I just use an SSB for Netflix (which will also create a launcher for your app menu).
In this case its a bit less difference, but would mean no Netflix App added to your chrome. While it would mean one application added to your linux install.
Maybe you’ve banished flash but still need it for one thing, or maybe you just want to use FB like it were a sort of standalone desktop app.
It’s really just a good way of containing one task, so as not to pollute what you would normally do. This can matter more depending on what you are trying achieve.
In fact I’m pretty sure this is how Netflix on Linux was done for a bit before it was available natively.

I wasnt trying to spit on the tutorial, just mentioning another way :slight_smile:

Good info. No need to justify, info is what these tutorials are all about. I’ll have to check out that program, sounds interesting. I think most of my questions will get answered after I play with that program, but I’m guessing you configure it to read pages from a specific browser? Or is it capable of creating shortcuts with multiple browsers? What I like about Chrome’s built-in method of creating shortcuts is that it’s built-in. No need for another program to install, but I can definitely see how a separate SSB can be useful.

When you do this, it does create an SSB. That’s just the name of it, a Site-Specific Browser. Peppermint OS makes extensive use of them, and brought attention to SSBs to the forefront with their little ICE add-on.

And It’s little handy utilities like that and ice-aur that makes life just a little bit simpler for everyday Linux users, too, who just want something that works. :smiley: On the other hand, with tutorials such as this, add-ons become unnecessary.

I use SSBs for Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos, Crackle, and (sometimes) Hulu.

Like all-things Linux, Windows, or BSD, it’s really nice to know the guts of something, and I like the fact we have tutorials such as this one, @Annoyingduck. :smiley:

regards