Simple screen resolution graphic card question?

Sorry for such a basic question - but appreciating that graphics drivers can sometimes be a challenge in Linux distros, I’m interested in using more of the higher screen resolution (pixel density) permitted by my new LG 32" monitor than the 1920 x 1080 I’m currently getting.

I’m running it on an older Dell Optiplex 7010 tower (originally Win10) that I recently converted to Manjaro as per what you see here…

Screenshot_20211202_160735

I’m looking for an affordable graphics card to add-on to make this LG QHD monitor (capable of up to 2560 x 1440) and don’t want to buy a costly card, install it, and then wind up with the same 1920x1080 I’ve got now.

Please beware that I’m not interested in speed (not a gamer) - don’t need anything high powered and would stay cheap. I just hope for better available resolution for my aging eyeballs. :nerd_face:

Any recommendations that would work with drivers known to be supported on Manjaro/Arch platform? (perhaps manufacturers to possibly avoid, maybe NVIDIA?)

Thanks for any direction you might point me. (FWIW, I’ll be shopping in the US)

UPDATE: After a bit more research I took the plunge and ordered a “ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 Zone Edition 4GB”

Again, speed isn’t an issue since I’m not a gamer. I prefer fan-less cooling (= quiet) for home studio recording work and there’s only a 240W power supply in there now, so low wattage is also appealing.

For benefit of anyone following a similar path, I’ll report back as to how this works out supporting 2560x1440 (QHD) resolution for desktop work where video action is limited.

Threads seeking advice about specific computer product recommendations are discouraged.

• Such topics, like the technology they discuss, quickly become obsolete and are unlikely to provide any lasting benefit to the wider community.
  • You are expected to be able to do your own research and draw your own conclusions about which product best suits your individual requirements.
  • However, Manjaro partners with several hardware vendors. If you’re interested in hardware powered by Manjaro, you are welcome to check out the available options at Manjaro hardware.

Forum Rules - Manjaro

Thread closed.